Peel island

Saffa

A mate and I are thinking about heading out to Peel island tonight. Can anyone give us an idea of what we can catch there and also what good spots there are. Still looking at the weather though as not to sure what it will be like out there tonight.

On the southern side, sound around for some depth changes near the green beacon closest to Horseshoe Bay. Also worth a fish on the depth change from around 6M down to 12M between the Banana Banks and Peel. Expect some squire.

Have caught some Chinaman fish on the SE corner 3M depth. If you're not aware, they are protected and also likely to make you pretty crook if you were to eat them.

That area also fishes well for large shovellies, sharks, and some big turtles :blink:

We ended up going to the seaway. Got pretty wet and my mate ended up with a wopping bream. I got busted off by something pretty massive, had some seriouse head shakes when I was playing it. Made a few good runs before it broke me off. I was using a pilly at the time. Wonder what it could have been. 20lb braid and my shimano 4500 baitrunner tried to bring it in but to know avialle :(

My trace was 30lb of Mojiko polymer nylon. The trace gave way down near the hook I had on. All I can say it had some wieght behind it. It's the first time I have fished the seaway spit in a boat at night, I will definately be going there again.

Saffa wrote:

Yea my trace was from an older trip out to Mud Island. Next time I make sure all my knots ect are done on the day.

did you catch any grinners when you were at mud? cause i have lost quality fish after catching a grinner and they nick your line :angry:

Archived