F.A.D

straddiebrad

there is a fad eastern side of moreton just north of south passage bar and it was put there by one of the fishing/boating societies. Don't quote me on this but Iam thinking mbtbc helped or was actually them that put it there.If a group of people decided that they needed a fad some where surly it should be allowed so long as the location is disclosed.

There are many hidden fads out in the water off the goald coast. A hidden fad is one that sits half way in the water colum with no bouy floating above it.most hidden fads are barrels and lots of them tied together each plastic barrel is nearly filled all the way to the top with water and all tied up together conected to chain and concrete.Others are simply an anchor on chain with 20mtrs of rope conected to a foam ball float with heaps of plastic pedestrian footpath baracade tied to the rope to encourage alge growth and droped in 40mtrs of water.

straddiebrad wrote:

AZZA wrote:
This is why you should keep a close eye on the sounder when travling around as you never know when you might some "new" structure ;)
mate unless i go slow my sounder picks up nothing but clutter the transducer skips across the water unless i slow down

have you tried putting your transducer lower , i set mine so the whole pod of the transducer is under the water at full pace, it can pick the bottom and structure up fairly clear for a cheap sounder!

what could we do as a fishing community to push for some more fads in the bay and offshore !!! who do we see and talk too , so we can get permission to start building some structures, i bet there is heaps of concrete pipe plants with lots of broken pipes and blocks they would probally donate if asked, then we just need to hire a small barge to transport the bits and pieces to a set location ;) :laugh: just a few thoughts :laugh:

Qld DPI dont believe in FAD's - unfortunately.

There are many many ones added to waterways by fisho's. As long as you dont bung it in a main channel or trawling area you would probably find it stays put.

I'd suggest that when the dillies are no longer legal, all your old dillies might make a good start to one, just tie the floats on short and toss them all in! Do it the day before they are banned though! Dont want to get caught with them in the boat on the way out the day after!

MoparKevUk wrote:

For those numpties like myself who feel too foolish to ask;

FAD = Fish Aggregating Device
/>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_aggregating_device

Dillie = Ain't got a clue, is it another misspelt fishing word to confuse me?? ;)

DILLIE = Valiant loven pome :laugh: no jest kiddin

It's a crab catchin device so named because of it resembling a dunce hat hence the name dillie, thats why I belive that all imagrants should speak the lingo before they get here so we dont have to explain everytkink to em :silly:

not much we can do, like we have seen with the new arty reef in the bay, if only they were to be placed in as quick time as the green zones were in place. if you are caught tossing anything over the side you will all be hung from the nearest tree by authorities. buy each to their own i reckon!

rob

30 years ago Qld Harbours & Marine issued a permit for the installation of the first float suspended FAD in QLD waters. It was built by Stoddards SS Fabricators for MBGFC and funded by ALSAFE lifejacket manufacturers. It was sited off Hendersons but didn't last that long because the SS float was pinched and the tether ropes were cut by persons unknown and the next sighting was when it's ropes fouled a bombie near Western Rocks. The system works well attracting all sorts of fish but the pro's don't like them cos they interfere with their trawl nets. Anyone wants any info on the design PE me. Tight lines . Ian M. :cheer:

Archived