Reddy again

Freshy

Hey all,

Headed down to Reddy again today. Decided after fishing low at dusk that I might give dawn or there abouts a crack. After nearly sleeping in, early mornings and late nights are really starting to catch up with me, my mate Stevo turned up right on time at 6.30.

A quick coffee to go and away we went. Got down there around 6.50 and made our way out to the point. With the change of the moon phase low was .41 as opposed .21 the other day so getting to where I wanted to fish meant rock hopping over the weed topped rocks. Not that that was a problem for me, Stevo however came a cropper after warned of the dangers. Risk management issues ignores at his own peril.

Stevo cutting a lonely figure

P6280045.jpg

Now after deciding to fish with bait I had prepped some berley late last night, first time I've used berley. Placed my prawns in the berley container and off I went. With not a lot happening I went and joined my injured friend on his lonely rock. Cast out just past the rock line, great to have polarised glasses and clear water to assist.

I then spied a little surface action, set the rod up and hopped back to grab a popper and see if I can't have some fun when I heard my drag and turned to see the rod bent double. Quicker than Stevo could say do you want me to grab that I'd walked across the water and to his surprise was standing beside rod in hand... fishing rod that is, mind out of the gutter please. :P

A little fun later negotiating all the bommies on 6 pound line older than my 11 year old and I'd landed a solid bream at 30 to the tip.

P6280048.jpg

P6280052.jpg

Very happy I was, ducked back out to the hot rock and I was on again. This was a lot bigger and gave me some curry. After negotiating him or her most of the way in it ducked under a bommie and I thought I was gone. Applied some pressure and out it popped only to be bitten off a split second later. Moral of this story don't be lazy and use a leader with line that's not to old.

Anyway it was decided that we didn't want to swim back and the last thing I wanted was for Stevo to have another fall so we headed back and decided to hit up the Shorncliffe Pier. Only ever fished it once before, but think I will do it again.

Upon arrival dropped some berley in to see what was happening and out came the Hardie Heads. Dropped in my berley soaked prawn under the bait school and decided to have a quick flick of a plastic. Then off the prawn went again. A small bream not measured. Then again another small bream, same size. The comment was made that I'd caught the same fish twice and it looked like it. Then out again, still haven't moved the plastic and I'm on to a better fish. After negotiating the pylons he ducked under and the lift on the dodgy 6 pound line a nice 27 bream was landed.

Then the plastic went, 'holy shit' I said only to find a shag tangled with it somehow. After trying to free the rotten thing the fish were off. Oh well the family was there by then and a bacon and eggs brekky was had on the beach. Yummy :)

After negotiating some more fishing time we headed out on the wall opposite. Inside looked ok and outside (cabbage tree creek side looked ordinary) very flat and not very fishy. So after using all the prawns through a small piece of squid and out the inside of the wall I was on to a nice dusky. Negotiated him in knowing the perils that awaited with my line and just as I'm going to grab him by the lip, a quick head shake and it's gone. Damn it that makes two lost fish...

That was it for the day then. I don't keep too many fish but decided the two bream would go down well with the boys so I filleted them. Well butchered them really, not good with the filleting knife, need some more practice. Then off home with duties as hunter and gatherer completed for the day.

All in all a very relaxing Sunday was complete.

keep the rod tip low and try and walk backwards up the beach with flatties and you'll lose a few less... they're notorious for that shake of the head at the water's edge! congratulations on a great day's fishing- that's an area that gets a lot of pressure and anyone would be happy with a session like that!

To think that some clown of a councillor on the old Redcliffi city council tried to have the Reddy reef reclaimed to become a parking and boat ramp area but was stymied by the Qld Marine Board back in the 90's.. Makes you wonder about the mentality of some pollies. :dry: Did you know that the yellow raincoats stripped this reef of ALL it's shellfish and it was barren for several years. A few of us locals had it declared a no take zone until it recovered. :woohoo: Tight lines. Ian M

Thanks Roobs, aware of that mate. I just happened to be 3/4 of the way out to the end of the wall and had to make my way down to water level so as not to lift.

Wallyfly, I didn't know that mate :ohmy: some people have absolutely no idea...

Archived