Trevally?

josmo99

Afternoon

What would be the common trevally species that are caught at Manly boat harbour? I've caught a few, they're not big by any stretch of the imagination. Never caught them before down south. And are they worth keeping to eat?

Cheers

Joe

hi joe,

smaller trevally are good to eat as long as you bleed them straight away and eat them that day..if you dont plan on cooking it up that day, then best off releasing as they dont freeze too well. Smaller golden trevally are probably the best to eat.

Thanks for your replies. If they're baby GTs, yep best to let them go. They're way too small, although I must admit I have fed quite a few to my feathered cormorant friend. :) Silver trevally would be nice, but I haven't seen any here yet. Don't think I've seen them at the fishos either.

A 43cm trev would be nice ... :)

Speaking of pike, can you catch ANYTHING on soft plastic other than pike?? I saw a guy the other week pull up 8-10 in quick succession, couldn't believe it! Being pretty new with soft plastics myself, I had a go and yep I believe it now. Don't mind these pike, they taste quite good fried. They remind me of the VIC snook. Not sure if the released ones survive as handling them always inadvertently rubs off some of their disgusting slime.

Ive seen some absolute monster GTs in manly. Aswell as hooked a fairly large Big Eye trevally fishing off the rockwall a few years ago, took the plastic from right in front of me and took off on a long run before the leader popped. :(

Id say those would be the 2 common trevally you would encounter there.

Cheers

nabs wrote:

Ive seen some absolute monster GTs in manly. Aswell as hooked a fairly large Big Eye trevally fishing off the rockwall a few years ago, took the plastic from right in front of me and took off on a long run before the leader popped. :(

Id say those would be the 2 common trevally you would encounter there.

Cheers

Did you see them caught or swimming around?

I lost more than a leader once. Had my rod pulled in off William Gunn some years ago when I was visiting Brisbane, never knew what it was but it wasn't small. A guy warned me not to leave it unattended as they were catching big goldens but I thought: what, such a small boat harbour, no way. Doh!

I guess the next question is: how do you tell bigeye and GT apart?

hey guys new here

lol, those trevs aint small if you know the go joe ;)

I landed a 83cm trev on a bubble pop style popper 4 days ago.

You gota be there south of the boat marina and fish the mudflats as the tide comes in.

the big ones come over at night and very early morning but not day, and yes they are a treat to eat as long as you kill them properly.

I usually hang mine in my walk in freezer for 6 - 7 days. ;)

onya

bighardfisho wrote:

hey guys new here

lol, those trevs aint small if you know the go joe ;)

I landed a 83cm trev on a bubble pop style popper 4 days ago.

You gota be there south of the boat marina and fish the mudflats as the tide comes in.

the big ones come over at night and very early morning but not day, and yes they are a treat to eat as long as you kill them properly.

I usually hang mine in my walk in freezer for 6 - 7 days. ;)

onya

Heya bighardfisho

Nice nick :P

What size gear do you use? No way I can land a 80cm trev on my current gear of 9lb main and trace. Trev of all makes fight dirty. I've forgotten how many times I've been busted off by relatively modest 40cm+ silvers.

OK I'll head down to the mudflats south of the marina when the tide's right - which is over the next couple of nights! Thanks. I'll be sure to bring my 'heavy' outfit - 15lb on a 4000 size reel.

bighardfisho wrote:

Hey Jismo :cheer:

I use 8lb with a 10-12lb mono leader.

8-12 lb Loomis and a stella 1000.

get a few snap offs but mostly do ok.

you see you get a lot of chopper taylor over that way so you have to not target them.

onya

Far out! I guess there aren't any oyster encrusted rocks to get in the way? A 83cm trev would pull like a bullet train with fins.

I should get myself a popper then. Any size I should get?

Archived