Bretts Wharf.....Citykats........Grrrrr!

tattoo_maker

Is it just me and some bad timing or are the citykats going to war against fisherman on Bretts?

Last two times I've been there they've been basically shaving the hair of my nuts as they go past, in the past the odd one would cut through really close but it seams to me that they are all passing within spitting distance?

Anyone else noticed this?

I might have to look for a new land based haunt :(

lol the funny thing is, the ones who dont come within 30cm of hte pontoon seem to do a better job landing at their own pontoon anyway

those cats can motor sideways more or less cant they? seems to me if most of them can comfortably operate without cutting 1m away then they all can, i have no "they're doing their job" sympathy for the ones that do cut 1m away lol

sure we can argue that fishing is tech. not allowed off that pontoon but like every situation like this i say just because it is legal doesn't mean its right, and just because its illegal doesn't mean its wrong.. teck and i when we fished there pretty often cleaned away alot of crap left by more than fishermen, and thats the only reason fishing isn't allowed there (people leaving rubbish etc lying around)

a mate and i were at bretts wharf along corro drive early 1 night and decided to cross the river and have a look around the davies park area, as were were pretty close to the bank now i thought i heard a horn, then again and looked behind, and here was a citycat heading straight for us at full tilt. i screamed at my mate go, just go. so i eventually hit the throttle and we hid behind the concrete jetty at davies park, hell he was going to hit that b4 hitting us. he must have missed the jetty by around 10 mtrs or less, and i pleaded with pat to got to the regatta citycat stop, but he didn't. strange how as he went past the jetty he procceeded to go to the correct side of the river again, this was done on purpose as you could see where he had come from by the wake he was leaving.

sure thats an "easy" solution but not necessarily a reasonable one..

the sign should really say "no littering" instead of "no fishing" because as we all know there are lots of responsible anglers who fish there as well as lots of messy twats

when i used to fish there i made a point to leave that place as clean as i can (cleaning up the random beer bottles etc left by awesome bogans)..does that mean i'm in the wrong for fishing in a "no fishing" area? (keep in mind i'm talking about morally, not legally)

simply because we're technically not supposed to fish there, because of a few bad eggs, is no reason for the citycat drivers to do what they do when there are plenty of good citycat drivers who don't go nearly that close or seem to have that kind of attitude.

its very easy for anglers and citycat drivers to co-exist in this situation, with a little common sense

There's more than a few rules/laws in place that are as a result of a few bad eggs. Still doesn't mean its right to ignore them.

I just think its a little silly complaining about some citycat drivers that are obviously discouraging you from fishing off a pontoon that you're clearly not allowed to fish on.

well i am of the opinion that the law is targetting the wrong behaviour, littering is the problem not fishing. there are plenty of people that litter the hell out of that pontoon that arent even fishing off it, putting up an arbitrary "no fishing" sign in the belief that fishing is the problem and not just idiots being idiots is a poor excuse for a solution

besides, that pontoon gets used like once every 2 weeks by party boats lol if we're not allowed to fish off it, it just sits there most of the time

citycat drivers have no reason to discourage fishing, in what way are they affected by it? it doesnt inconvenience them going 10m wider, thats what the majority of them do and the ones that do go wider seem to have less trouble docking on the citycat terminal than the ones that cut in 3m away lol

My humble opinion is that if you are not supposed to be fishing there you are not entitled to complain .

If you really are convinced that fishing should be allowed there why not find out who the owners of the jetty are and put up a convincing argument why fishing should be allowed .

Also ask them why they do not allow fishing there.

Lobby your local politicians and ask for their support.

Then put up a post on the forum asking other members to also contact the owners to support your idea.

To the best of my knowledge this site does not promote any illegal fishing activities which include fishing in no fishing areas.

Cheers

Ray the grump.

i agree with nadders in this topic, sure its not the fishing thats causing any problems on the pontoon its the litter and sure they have a no fishing sign but hey we all know heaps of people fish there so why cant the citycat drivers just oblige to give the fisherman on the jetty a little room as it does not inconvenience them as nadders has said.

we shall have to agree to disagree on this one.

to be honest i havent fished there in a long time and going through the "official channels" in this circumstance is a little over the top for the situation. nobody at all has ever made any indication that they have a problem with me fishing down there, when i used to frequent the area... and the citycat drivers referred to in the post have no valid reason to be annoyed unless there is something they aren't telling me.

i wont ever willingly break a law that affects someone directly or indirectly unless i have a very good reason to do so, but responsibly fishing on bretts wharf pontoon does not affect anyone directly or indirectly (hell i have cleaned that place up enough times that i've affected it in a good way lol) and to be frank i have no time for useless arbitrary laws. that may sound bold but its just the way i am, if i know i'm not hurting anyone or doing anything wrong in the moral sense of the word i wont feel bad about breaking a "law" that claims i am :P

if it were the case that people were commenting and kicking people off the pontoon when they weren't littering etc then i would do what you suggested in an instant ray but as i see it nobody has ever looked at me funny or seemed bothered in any way, it just seems the citycat drivers who cut close are just careless or unreasonable or bored and looking for action lol

edit: isn't it ironic that the pontoon we are talking about is officially called (i believe) the bretts wharf game fishing pontoon? lol

i reckon that's a stupid rule how buses can pull out on u .

they should weight like every1 else for a gap .

if they pull out on me i gun it and get past them .

if the pull out before me then i slow down.

1 day i will be in the 4x4 and f them i will rip the side of there bus.

the bus will win but hell i will make a mess of it .

but i will have to wait a bit as they only seam to do it when i'm in the Mazda.

and i have seen them do it to trucks too .pisses me off .

no offense to bus drivers ,i know it not all of them .just a few who push it .

lol ive had some close calls with buses too dave. they're still required to indicate for a good 5 seconds before changing lanes so if they did crash into you they should be in alot of trouble, it can get pretty dangerous i've had to pretty much swerve into the next lane in situations like that :huh:

not very profesional of them city cat skippers to change course to intimidate another boat out fishing or to pass close to wharfs that aren't his. this skipper will either hurt or kill someone with that sort of behavour and will end up on the wrong side of the law.

mark

Davo_Dinkum wrote:

i reckon that's a stupid rule how buses can pull out on u .

they should weight like every1 else for a gap .

if they pull out on me i gun it and get past them .

if the pull out before me then i slow down.

1 day i will be in the 4x4 and f them i will rip the side of there bus.

the bus will win but hell i will make a mess of it .

but i will have to wait a bit as they only seam to do it when i'm in the Mazda.

and i have seen them do it to trucks too .pisses me off .

no offense to bus drivers ,i know it not all of them .just a few who push it .

i was lucky 10 yrs ago a buss did this to me well what can i say landrover 1 bus 0 i had very heavy steel side runners that peel alloy very easy

jason

Archived