FREEWILLY

I just bought a 4 year old quintrex that has been in the water for the whole 4 years, I need to clean off the barnicles, I have tried using a presure cleaner (water blaster) with only half the problem fixed, there is some serious barnicles to remove.

I am also still looking for an outboard 6 hp or less thats not too old and also a trailer to fit the tinny (3.7m) Any help would be appreciatted.

Please does anybody have any ideas on how to remove the rest of the barnicles??

I've just had to deal with this problem myself. I bought a tinnie that was a tender and was in the water most of the time. There is no nice ways to get these little ****** off, I used a paint scraper which is ok for me because i'm painting mine but if your not gonna paint yours than I don't really know how else you can, even with the scraper it was tough, they really bond to boats like they were welded on.

Ty Feral, I am aware of the elbow grease thing matE :) CLR might work, I dont suppose their is any other chemical out their that the average joe can purchase to do the job??

It's that bad that towing the boat home I couldnt get up onto the plane in my own boat with just me and my son in it and usually i can get up on the plane with five adults, the drag was rediculous..please any idea's would help. i dont want to resort to Feral's idea of elbow grease :(

superstryda wrote:

I've just had to deal with this problem myself. I bought a tinnie that was a tender and was in the water most of the time. There is no nice ways to get these little ****** off, I used a paint scraper which is ok for me because i'm painting mine but if your not gonna paint yours than I don't really know how else you can, even with the scraper it was tough, they really bond to boats like they were welded on.

If i scrape it all of stryda , off an ally hull, it shouldnt harm it??

Dilute hydrochloric acid (around 20 to 1) won't harm the hull providing its washed off in a reasonable amount of time. It should still soften the barnacles as their shells are made of calcium carbonate which is very prone to acid attack. If you had a vat of vinegar you could just dip the thing and they would all disolve.

Probably your best bet is to hit it with a hard core pressure cleaner. An ordinary domestic one probably won't be powerful enough.

can get a 3000PSI petrol driven one from the hire mobs, it was insanely powerful and was tearing the concrete apart instead of the paint we were trying to peel off.

i would suggest a quick acid wash and then a pressure blast

and make sure if you do the acid wash over concrete that you rinse that too otherwise you might end up with some holes in it.

faulked wrote:

try listerine it works a treat in the adds

lmfao, do not use coke to wash your boat! acid wash the affected areas.Mix the coke with some rum sit back and enjoy, then get the mother of all pressure washers and give it a good going over, dont forget rain coat as you will get wet! dont do it on the lawn unless u wanna kill it and get some more rum..... too easy

Why dont you just tow the boat around for a while without the trailer. It will clean most barnincles off and you can decide then on which trailer you want.

What about sticking your head into a shipyard and asking them what they use to clean hulls. I know most they clean will be fibreglass but I am sure they do a share of alloy hulls.

• 9 years later...