Will ally rivets be strong enough?

superstryda

Hey guys, building the frame for a casting deck and was wondering if ally rivets will be strong enough to hold the angle in place across the front seats? Hard to explain but i'm sure someone knows what I mean. Was showing a mate what I was doing and he asked me the question and suggested that maybe I should use stainless rivets instead. My problem with this is i've been reading a bit about electrolosis lately, wouldn't that become an issue using stainless? Or am I wrong?

If your worried about load bearing, just add an extra rivet at each join.

The reality is the rivet should not be taking much shear load, it is the friction caused by the metal being held tightly together that does most of the shear load bearing.

if you use 4/5 5mm rivets they should hold for quite some time im 120kg and all good so faR but the old 1/8th rivets only held for a couple of yrs a little dab of silicon on any joint your worried about will reaLLy give you some assurance if put on to clean ally it will be very hard to get apart later

stainlees and alloy will get on a let better than say alloy and brass that is a terrible combo if you look up galvanic corosion on the net youll be hoorified at what materials people unwittingly mix a brass swivel on the bootom of a tinny in salt water should produce a neatish hole clean thru in about 12months

also beware of drill shavings in the bootom they fuck bilge pumps quick

and lastly dont leave any spent rivets in the hull they are steel and quite nasty

ooh yeh galvanised screws are pure evil in a salt enviroment when mixxed with alloy

Archived