mouth of river yakking report

aichepee

so today i went out with my mate in our yaks hoping to get onto some good snapper at the docks. we lanuched at the beach near the poop shoot opposite fishermans island and made our first few casts near the bouy at the sunken rock wall. my mates 2nd cast with a gulp pumpkinseed 4" mullet produced a tailor of about 40cm. then it was my turn.... :)

drifted along for about 5 mins and nothing then suddenly on one cast near the bouy i got absolutely hammered on the drop. (gulp 5 inch jerkshad). it was the first time i heard the drag sing on my new sol 2500 (thanks leighton) and first true bend in my g. loomis mossyback. :cheer:

fought the fish for about 5 mins until it surfaced and the sight alone of the fish was amazing. an enormous flathead; bigger than i have ever seen i my life. too big for my net and had no lip grip. i couldnt just lift it onto my yak as i only had 8lb sunline braid... :S

so i got the gaff out; being careful not to hook it in a bad spot. swiped about 20 times at its mouth and just kept missing ahhaa. while i was doing this is kept taking runs back down. finally i got it and i halued it up onto my lap. got the sp out and measured it along the side of my yak. it measured at about 85cm roughly. (80cm with slight bend). my best by about 30cm. lent back to get my phone for a photo and then it just went crazy and slid off my yak.

nothing more from that spot and headed over to the docks. fished there with everything. (bait, sp's, tn-60's, bait jigs, mask vibes) and nothing so called it quits and headed back in. decided to have one last flick at the sunken rock wall on low tide for a big bream. got a zillion pike than about 10th cast and knock. BOOM. hooked on and was thinking this is a bloody big bream. turned out to be a 40cm squire. that i kept for dinner. on a 4 inch pumpkinseed mullet.

so that was it, we packed up; got bogged, got towed out and then went home.

overall great day, harry

Nice work on the croc sized flatty, I was actually the bloke knee deep on the flats when you launched I jealously watched on admiring as you paddled off as I was about three hours into my session for not even a touch. Ended up with two lizards though back at boggy. Bloke that towed you out actually stopped for a chat and mentioned with a giggle, he had just pulled someone out. Again nice fish.

chris, well he might not have thought to but if he did we wouldnt have been bogged

and the last guy, forgot your name haha. theres not really any maps with restrictions and that. generally just 30m off any wharf or dock and your fine.

if your looking at advice on where to go, just start a post and include if your landbased, boat etc and people will reply with good detail

aichepee wrote:

chris, well he might not have thought to but if he did we wouldnt have been bogged

and the last guy, forgot your name haha. theres not really any maps with restrictions and that. generally just 30m off any wharf or dock and your fine.

if your looking at advice on where to go, just start a post and include if your landbased, boat etc and people will reply with good detail

Or under it hey mate :laugh: :laugh:

Archived