mates dog taken at kholo!

Troy_79

hey guys, my mate and i went to the kholo bridge today to do some fishing but what was suppose to be a fun afternoons of fishing turned into one of the worst moments i have experienced

The fishing was dead must have fished for about 3 to 4 hours without a bite so we packed up and played ball with my mates border collie, throwing his ball into the water and he would retrive it, my mate lives at karana downs so this was just a every day routine as his dog loved the water.

Anyway without going into the details as im still shaken up by what happend, something came to the surface there was a massive splash and the dog was gone:(

so just a warning if anyone is in that area be careful of big sharks i know i wont be taking my dog down there ever again!

how big would a shark have to be to take a border collie- probably six foot? they reckon the bite marks on the sarah wylie girl were of sharks about that big. i think that it's suprising there hasn't been attack sooner that was serious- bull sharks account for a staggering amount of the world's shark attacks.. tigers, great whites, makos and blues the rest. but bull sharks take the proverbial cake. sorry for your loss... dogs are like mates only nicer...

If it's completely fresh I don't think I can't be bothered. I still don't feel confident with there being many sharks in the fresh. Kholo Bridge isn't that bridge at colleges is it?

I still feel really sorry for that dog tho.

Also since the dog was taken whole, I'd say the shark would have had to be atleast 6 foot if not bigger....

Post edited by: TIMBO, at: 2007/02/20 10:31

kholo bridge is not the bridge that goes through colleges it is freshwater but i have heard of people catching sharks on one side of the weir and throwing them over the other side :P but i dont know how long they could live in fresh or the fish ladder is working yay:)

either way it is very sad to hear about a dog going bye bye

Oztrav wrote:

not at kholo i dont think i was their on the weekend and didnt see any

Don't know if we were exactly in kholo but we drove along kholo road and stopped when we came to the bridge its probably closer to mt crosby then kholo.

One of the guys at work told me today that he read a story in the paper maybe the south west news a couple of months ago warning people about the dangers of swimming in that area due to the large numbers of sharks around the area. i've never targeted sharks before and would love to learn how to!

the fish ladder has always worked... and bull sharks live in lake nicaragua which is totally fresh, all there lives. their physiology changes when they enter the fresh. there's a study being done on it by a scottish scientist. not so suprising really because eels do the same thing, as do salmon, as do ocean running trout, as do bass, and you catch barra in both. i grew up on the brisbane river at mt crosby and there have always been sharks at kholo. besides the weir opens in heavy flooding and if there's one thing that fish love it's swimming upstream against a current- it's what they do when it floods. the weir hasn't opened for a while but when it does it's awesome.

The Scottish scientist is Richard Pillans from the university of Edinburgh.

He has been doing research with Pro Craig Franklin from the University of Queensland. They have tagged and released literally hundreds of sharks.

Regarding there Physiology, Bull Sharks have an extra Kidney. This allows them to greatly reduce the ammount of Urea in their system and move freely into fresh water for an indefinate ammount of time.

Dont ask me exactly the biology of how that works. But a shark with the usaul 2 kidneys becomes internally flooded in fresh without the salt. However the second kidney counters this happening.

Overall this is why globally, in lakes in Africa, South America, North America and Australia there are Bull Sharks well into the fresh reaches. And by fresh i mean \"fresh\" and not brackish.

Angus

I thought it was an extra liver lol but its been a while since I last read about it. Maybe I should do some more research some time:) The issue with fish/sharks moving between salt and fresh is the changing density of the surrounding water with respect to the internal fluids of the fish/shark. An osmosis process occurs when there is a difference in density and water will migrate through the fishes skin to balance it, causing all sorts of problems. As gus said its urea that is used to do the balancing in Bull Sharks (allowing to survive in both salt and fresh) by excreting it when there are in freshwater (they must store it when in a saltwater environment). I'm not sure what mechanism other marine species use to allow them to survive both extemes.

\"Researchers have found that this fierce predator can travel 4,200 kilometers (2,600 miles) upstream, and can spend between 4-6 years in freshwater. One bull shark was even found in the Mississippi River in Illinois!\"

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I had a bit of a look on google earth,and other websites. Heres what i came up with. The Most northerly point of the Mississippi River empties out into one of the lakes that seperates the USA and Canada, FRESH WATER. Look at the pic Illinois is the 2nd last state before the river empties into the lake. Look where it starts, THE GULF OF FRIKKEN' MEXICO!!!!:ohmy: :ohmy:

Ok here is another startling fact, It's all upstream the Mississipi river flows south down to the Golf of Mexico. Illinois is the IL on the map..Duh'

[img size=350]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/mississipi_river.gif

Post edited by: kezza99, at: 2007/02/21 12:16

post-589-144598407709_thumb.gif

i googled \"sharks and kholo\" and Found this story in the qld times CRAZY:ohmy:

Shark mauls horse

By BRAD WEIER

A BULL shark tried to bite off more than it could chew when it attacked a horse in the Brisbane River at Kholo.

Monday's attack comes after East Ipswich teenager Nathan Shaxson was bitten on his head and finger while swimming in the river at Karalee, 15km downstream from Kholo, earlier this month.

Grandchester-based horse trainer Alan Treadwell said gelding Glen-burns Arm was swimming across the river when the shark struck about 9.30am.

He said he regularly exercised the six-year-old pacer in the river to improve its stamina and muscle development.

\"The shark had a couple of good goes at (his rump)  he was struggling for about 15 seconds before he got free,\" Mr Treadwell said yesterday.

He went over backwards so luckily I was on the other side of the river bank and was able to drag him out with a (lead) rope.\"

University of Queensland professor Craig Franklin, who has studied Brisbane River bull sharks for four years, said he was not surprised by the attack.

\"We had a very hot summer and it hasn't cooled down much so the sharks are still at their peak when it comes to feeding,\" Professor Franklin said.

\"If fish (like mullet) are in short supply then they will go after whatever food is available.\"

Mr Treadwell said the horse was taken directly to Rosewood Veterinary Service where it was treated for minor wounds and bleeding.

Archived