Lenthalls 15th-20th Feb 2007

Angus

Ok guys i can only account for what happened while i was there but ill give you a basic run down.

After a long drive up thursday night and crashing on Andrew's floor as Brian and I could not be bothered putting the tent up at 12:30 (thanks Andrew and Ferg)! we got to the dam at about 6:00am the next morning.

Day One:

I must say Lenthalls is a hot looking dam. Heaps of snags, lilly pads and awesome reaches. The fishing for me personally was not going to prove that good though. After only 20mins on the water i was onto my first bass (small). 10 mins later my poor jakal on 10lb braid with 12lb got absolutely bait raped. The fish was visible and it was an easy 70-80cm barra. I was devastated! However as this was 30mins into a 2 day trip i was excited.

And then it died for me.

That day i got two more small hits and that was it.

Brian got zilch.

Luckily some of the other guys proved the goods with several Barra landed by Graham and Ray.

Day Two:

Day 2 both Brian and I got zilch.

Good work to Piere though on his first ever bass!!

Anndrew managed to score 2 barra and Ferg one.

While Ray and Graham again proved there experience landing 7 between them and i think one bass???

Oh well that was it for me. I tried over 30 lures for poor result. Althought i must say based on the appearance of the dam and good company i still had an awesome time. I will get photo's up as soon as i get them onto the computer.

P.S. Thanks for the good company and a special thanks to Brian for boat, Andrew for the floor and Piere for the Steaks!!!!!

Regards.

Angus

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/02/20 11:58

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well what can I add?

The boofheads at Wide Bay need to sack their grader operator, he is hopeless. I'd reckon he did not have a clue what to do with a dirt road, he was just making the poor access track even worse!

The Burrum River caravan park was great, Ferg and I were in a cabin, had 3 rooms, 3 fixed beds, and a fold down lounge chair which could have easily slept another.

They allowed us all to bunk down in the same area, (tents in with the cabin amongst the vans, which is normally a no no in the caravan park pecking order!) The park was old, but still very functional, with river access from a pontoon and a loaner boat if you wanted to fish the river and were to lazy to put your own boat in the water.

The Dam itself was as Angus said very pretty, fantastic structure, with loads of snags, lilly pads, weed beds and many little bays, inlets and steep banks (drop offs). The access road was 10km of fairly average road, but you could do about 40k over it (or if your Brian, about 70k)until the rain and local grader driver made it into 10k of 15k an hour potholes and slop holes! But it was solid underneath, and the front wheel drive Camry never even looked like being in trouble on it. Brian managed to damage his boat trailer and light board on the road, (did I mention 70k an hour?) but apart from some wear and tear on the rollers Ray and my trailer survived ok.

Big Dan from the Local fish stocking society was brilliant, he was on site as acting caretaker, and told us all the local info, and how to get the fish, including showing us the current gun soft plastic, and meeting us every arvo, and telling us where all the action had been for the day.

The security guard on the weekdays was really good, polite but firm, 6hp, 4 knots. The bloke on the weekend was letting people in with motors up to 15 hp, at least one of which I saw fully on the plane in an area full of snags just under the surface. He had kids on board as well.....

Probably the reason Angus did not do so well, was out of the 20 plus Barra (we lost count) caught only 3 or 4 were on lures, the rest were either bait, mainly live prawns, or soft plastics, mainly Squidgee 5\" shads in green and gold. (Which Big Dan had put us onto, Ferg was lucky enough to have a packet in his kit)

Yeah you read right live prawns cast netted out of the Burrum river which is salt, then used in the fresh water dam to great effect.

Angus managed to break a rod whilst trying to free a lure from a snag, and Ray broke a rod on the trip up, and Brian broke 2 reels, one was a spring failure on a overhead reel, and the other a broken spindle on an eggbeater. Also plenty of lures were lost, both casting and rigging (I'll let Ray explain that one).

The standing joke of the trip was Brian and his tent. From the time of their arrival to when it was finally up, was 30 hours. There were a few issues.....

Anyway we all had a fantastic time, all saying we are certainly going back, and it was all in all a great 5 days spent with great mates!

photo's to follow

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/02/20 14:08

So Andrew was the last day pretty hot?

Ferg had only got one when i left.

Looked like he made up for that!!!!

I heard Piere got a Barra as well??

Did Brian get one?

well done though, cant complain with over 20 barra!

Angus

P.S. It is interesting as you pointed out. Bass are meant to be the dominent fish in the dam. Certainly did not seem that way!

Angus

We went right up the Burrum River until it was only about 4 foot deep and worked our way back. The fish we boated were from the same spot you saw us land the one the day we were up the southern arm.

Ferg picked up 2 yesterday, and we missed about another 4. They were hitting the plastics right as we were lifting them out of the water at the boat. Even when they were encased in a ball of weed.

Ferg also missed another on a surface popper, it hit only about 3 foot from the boat, and leapt and danced everywhere, threw the popper on the 3 jump.

Pierre ended up with 2 Barra, Brian was still a bridesmaid when we left, but he went back out today, dont know how he went.

Brian hooked one yesterday and got it to the boat, but had not given his deckie instructions on how to use a landing net. Apparently Pierre thought you beat the Barra on the head with the net to subdue it. Which apparently knocked the hooks out of its mouth. Very unhappy Brian!

Got home safe and I'll do a report later but to say I got my ass kicked is a fair summary. Got 2 barra to the side of the boat and dropped another from aerial ballet so they don't count and 4 bass after 5 sessions. When it comes to being a fisherman who can't put up a tent, I make a good house wife.:pinch:

Archived