Lenthalls 15th-20th Feb 2007

Angus

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah had a good trip - thanks Andrew for organising the whole thing. You might just find yourself with an official position if you keep it up. Thanks again.

Like I said - ouch it was hard work - I was wet for 3 days and nights, I lost around 15 hard bodies lures plus 3 bags of plastics, broke 2 reels, smashed another light board, killed countless brain cells, broke heaps of tie down straps (even a brand new rachet strap that didn't make the distance on just 1 trip to the dam. But would I do it again tomorrow -You can bet your grannies nightie on that.

yahoooo bring on the next one.

dunno what the biggest bass was, we were just tossing them back without getting to carried away, probably Brians 44 mentioned above. Big Dan was telling me that the Bass fire more in the cooler weather up there.

I think Pierre's 69cm Barra might have been best, but not sure. biggest in the silver bullet was 66cm.

Note the golden colouring of the barra.

Also no mention of the who has the most sandfly bites comp.

They were really savage at the van park.

The road in from the highway is 10k of dirt and quite rough even though it had just been graded.

Hint for next time is stop and take off your light board as soon as you leave highway. Mine wore through where the chain was attached and I think that brians bounced off the hooks.

I lost 5 river to sea lures in about 10 minuites the barra were swallowing them hole as soon as they hit the water and biteing them off. At one stage it was like catching winter whiting.

Graham was catching them on live and dead prawns.He was just casting to edge of lily pads and slowly retrieving.

Definatley going back for another go.

Ray

Feral wrote:

dunno what the biggest bass was, we were just tossing them back without getting to carried away, probably Brians 44 mentioned above. Big Dan was telling me that the Bass fire more in the cooler weather up there.

I think Pierre's 69cm Barra might have been best, but not sure. biggest in the silver bullet was 66cm.

Thanks for the rap feral but to tell truth I don't really remamber how big they were - but lets say they were all about the same size cause they all came out of the same hatch.

Ray - I'm going back to get square:S

Arron - about the tent. I think Feral is being kind to us - we didn't get the tent up till the 3rd afternoon cause it was so wet. At one stage Ray was working on his cast net (that got ripped up in the river) and he say \"hey guys , it's not raining\" but what he meant was \"put the tent up\". So we started to assemble it and the rain came again so we just folded it up and covered everything with a tarp for another day.

How's this - all the guys thought the tent thing was a good show so they all grabbed a beer or pepsi max and a camp chair and sat watching us fight each other trying to get the thing up. Hope you guys enjoyed the show.

When I got home and told my wife she said \"serves you right cause remember Barron Dam, when they had to drive home and I went to a cabin and was bragging about it having a spa thinking I was pretty hot shit.\"

Revenge is sweet she says - thanks for the support dear!

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/02/21 19:33

This is a copy of what I posted on ausfish and something similar that I posted on Big dans fishntales .com.au site. I feel that we owe a lot of the success of the trip to the help and information that Big Dan gave us. Dans site mainly looks after the Hervey bay area and is well worth having a look at. It appears to be run in a friendly manner similar to ours. I know that I am going to be a regular visitor.

Sorry I am so late but I have been too busy scratching sandfly bites.

Ray.

first timers at lenthals 15th to 20th.

I went to Lenthalls from 15th till 20th with a group from Brisbane Fishing online. There was a total of 7 of us but not all for the full period.

We stayed at the Burrum River van park with 2 of us in the cabin and the rest tenting in various stages.

As we were more interested in fishing it took Brian 2 days to erect his tent . It would be fine in the morning so we would all go fishing and when we came back in the afternoon it would be raining so Brian would sleep another night in his car.

When he finally got around to erecting it we all sat around and gave helpful advice whilst stopping the beer in our stubbies from getting warm.

The park is very good, clean amenities and friendly owners. Free broadband internet access to keep in touch.

The only downside was train noise ( why do they only blow their horns at 2am ) and the sandflies were savage due to the rain.

Getting to the Lake-

We were a bit apprehensive after reading stories about horror roads,damaged trailers, security goons and all sorts of bull .

Well there is 10ks of dirt that was fairly rough even though it had been graded. It took me about half an hour to negotiate taking it very easy as my mate has a bad back.

My light board fell off on the last day due to the holes where the tie ropes go through wore through. Another mates light board also fell off due to the attaching hooks falling off. Probably best ( but illegal ) to remove light board before going on dirt section or better still don't use the plastic type boards and make your own and use something more substantial than plastic. And keep your eye on your rear vision mirror the locals drive on any side of the road that they think is smoother.

The Lake-

What a stunner and congratulations to the Water Board.

Good amenities and very well landscaped and it will look even better when the construction gear has gone.

They appear to have gone to great lengths to minimize the visual impact of the construction work. I can just visualize how good it will all look in a couple of years time when all the trees have grown.

I hope that the planned full time ranger eventuates as it would be a shame if the yobbos get in and wreck the place.

The Fishing-

I think that as a group we caught and released over 24 barra and 6 bass over the 4 days we fished there. Graham and myself also both took 2 barra each home. The majority of the barra were around the 55cm mark with 7 being over 60 and the best 68cm. Best bass went 44cm.

We all used different techniques , bait, soft plastics, trolling hbs,casting hbs,and spinner baits.

Graham caught the first barra on a dead salt water prawn and then followed with one on a live poddy mullet. I have always been a confirmed bait fisherman and have previously only trolled hbs so I was very pleased to land about 6 barra casting hbs.

We found that most of the fish were caught after 10 am with only a few caught first thing. One day we had a very hot session in the pouring rain around midday. The barra were jumping in the air and hitting the lures as soon as they hit the water. The barra were completely swallowing the lures and I think that a few of them wont survive . I lost 5 lures that session as the fish would swallow the lure and wear the 20 lb leader through.

It was quite amusing watching some of the other members of our group fishing, the funniest incident was watching Pierre trying to swat a nice barra that brian had on with an envionet instead of letting the fish be lead into the net. Wasnt so funny listening to Brian when he lost the fish estimated to be around 80cm.

We met big Dan 123 there and he was very helpful and spot on with his info. THANKS DAN you and your stocking group are doing a fantastic job.

The dam is in pristine condition and needs protecting to keep it that way.

The rules have always been there so you cant complain that they are being enforced.

It would appear that they will be somewhat relaxed when the construction is finished.

Cheers

Ray

rayken1938 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2007/02/22 18:38

Archived