Junior threadie at Colmslie

ryanyoung

G'day again,

I had a slow, monotonous day at work today, so decided to head to the local fishing spot at Colmslie pontoon for a hour or so of fishing. I got the tides wrong in my head, and headed down with servo prawns looking for bream. I soon realised my rookie mistake when I got there and saw it coming off high tide! :P Within fifteen minutes of wetting the line I had a hook up, thinking I might have a bream on the end, I reeled in without much enthusiasm only to find a 28cm threadie hanging on the end! This got me pretty excited, so I changed up hooks (still on prawns) and cast out deeper. I got the odd small hit, with little to show for about forty minutes, during which I was flicking a hb around the pontoon to pass the time. I went back to the rod to check the bait and found it straining with a fair sized weight on it. It felt like I had something pretty substantial on the end as I started to reel in, trying to keep ahead of the drag. Whilst reefing back on the rod to get some more momentum, the line went slack :huh: ! Whatever fish I had on the end had spat my hook! Cheeky bugger! Anyway, the last twenty minutes went by slowly with nil bites, with me going home with a picture of a baby threadie and a fisherman's tale!

Hope everyone is having good luck with the fishing, catch ya's later.

Ryan threadie-20090728.jpg

Do river perch have threads hanging off their underside near the gills? I'm pretty sure it wasn't river debris! If they do have dangly bits, it could be, but otherwise, having pulled a couple of threadies in before, I am pretty certain of what it is. The photo is pretty low grade as it was taken on my camera phone, and it probably came out small with not much definition.

They used to be very common in the river.When I was a kid I with mum and dad and my 2 sisters used to walk a mile to the tram at Chardons corner and get the tram into town and buy a pound of greasy prawns at the bait shop that used to be under the old Victoria Bridge , sprinkle a few drops of aniseed in with the prawns and catch a sugar bag full of perch and then get the tram back home.

Big adventure in those days.Used green cord hand lines no such thing as nylon and gut was too expensive.

Cheers

Ray

Archived