Monduran Tips

fishyman

i dont know much myself but i went fishing at awoonga with rod harrison some barra guru and i can only tell u what he was doing.

we fished in the shallows with slick rigs and basically just looked for the warmest water. and you just retrieve them as slow as possible. he basically stressed us to fish super slow and use lures with a lot of movement. and also the warmer the water the better. we also had a 4am start.

yeah so over the three days we caught 5 barra, 2 over a meter.

and apparently there was no other fish caught at all.

pretty novice advice but good luck

Try this for some tips or laughs
/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/14-the-lakes-reports/153928-monduran-2008-the-movies#154184

They say the most productive way to catch barra is to troll a selection of shallow, mid and deep lures. I generaly have a go at casting then switch to trolling then go back to casting.

Where barra are depends when you go fishing. It's too early to be looking at the dam walls for the barra so head to the sticks - my guess would be B arm.

Don't go under gunned - power up your tackle, knotts and gear.

The best tip is to check in at Gin Gin bait and tackle store "Foxies", they know what is happening.

im heddin up in mid september and have stokked up on all the best gear for the trip .after speaking to jason wilhelm have great respect for what these barra can to to the best tackle. all lures have been fitted with owner trebles all reels have ben fitted with finns 50lb braid, 60-80 lb fluro carbon leader drags beefed up buy jack erskine dont underestimate these fish theyr powerfull and fast, broken rods r common and spooled reels i cant wait to get there for a fish its a great place for a big barra

Brian D wrote:

The best tip is to check in at Gin Gin bait and tackle store "Foxies", they know what is happening.

Yep...go with nothing, visit foxies and he'll set you up with everything you need and tell you exactly what's working this week. Thats the best advice i can give.

Other than that, i picked up a little barra at easter on a squidgy slick rig - lorikeet colour casting into shallow weed banks and slow retrieve with pauses.

Nat

Archived