Boat Passage PB Bream

ryanyoung

G'day all,

Knocked off work early today, and decided to head down to the Fisherman's Islands boat ramp for a spot of fishing.

I got there around 1520 after firstly going to Colmslie to snaggle up some livies, herring was the catch of the day in the castnet.

I gave the sp's a miss for today and instead opted for two rods with herring strips on one, and a livie on the other, and settled in for the wait in the shadow of the bridge.

It was going pretty slow for a while, with a few snags due to beaucoup rocks and the loss of some tackle, and there was a stiff breeze blowing into my face, which was annoying with line moving about everywhere.

It was in a momentary lull of checking my herring strips when my heavier rod suddenly bent over at an awesome angle, and braid started getting stripped from the reel at a massive rate of knots, I finally had that big fish I have been wishing for on the end of my line. After making sure the hook was set, I looked up to see my line heading east away from all the pilons, into open water. I then made a big mistake, I tightened the drag instead of letting the fish have a run! :blush: I reckon it may have stopped for a milli-second before snapping the 20lb braid and taking off with hook, line & sinker! :ohmy:

I was bloody stoked though! :woohoo: Even though the big fish got away, I had still managed to hook up with a potential winner, and that made my day.

After all the excitement died down, I re-did the setup and cast out again, but that was to be the last action that the shimano would get for the day.

By this stage, it was coming onto dusk, and my livies had turned into deadies, so I baited my flick rod with a small whole herring on a long-shank hook and cast out into the channel. Fifteen minutes passed and then I noticed something having a nibble at the herring. I immediately started talking to the critter having a dip, telling it to have a big bite (my daughter thought I was talking to her! :P ). As a few stronger bites came along I picked up the rod and gave it a flick backwards....and I was on again. This time the drag didn't scream, but the little fella put up a decent struggle on the light gear as I manouvered around the daughter (she was sitting on the only flat rock) to bring in the fish. After a couple of minutes, he came to the surface....and there I had a bream, which turned out to be my PB by a centimetre or so! :laugh:

tue2.jpg

All up, it was an awesome afternoon, and the exploring away from Colmslie seems to be paying dividends. I am wondering what fish out there likes small herring and has the ability to break 20lb braid on a 10kg rod? A fella at the ramp reckoned it would have been a jew, but with all my experience, I just don't know!

Anyway, hope everyone is having tight lines.

Cheers

Ryan

nice size bream that :)

good pan size i reckon.

better to be busted off then had no bite or big runs at all.

doesn't ya heart pump when u see the rod bend and the drag getting peeled off.

just like oh oh what is it .

u know if i could go fishing and get 30 cm bream ,50 to 60 cm flattie and squire 30 to 40 cm.

i would be a very happy man .not much more u could want i reckon.

did the brake on the knot ?

Not sure if the braid was snapped at the swivel or not, but I would assume that this was the case, introducing a knot to any setup creates weak points. The knots were of the very strong variety though, I remembered thinking to myself "Geez Ryan, you're knots are really coming along"! Ha ha ha :D

Blairy - I was on the ramp side, but near the bridge. The Outgoing tide was pushing my bait under the bridge which was pretty good. It is a weird area, when the tide is coming in, the water heads towards the ramp from the bridge, and viccy verca.

Travis - The sinkers used were from Big W, not sure as to their purpose, but they work good with livies and other bait that you don't want to get snagged along the bottom with. Perfect size for a light rod like that flick one I've got, can cast out a mile with them.

Archived