North Shore Day Out

BassTracker

The weekend before last I was able to skoot away for the day and make the drive up to double island point from brisbane. Its a bit of a drive but even if the fishing is no good just getting away from the city and driving along the sand for a couple of hours is a great way to relax. Aside from just putting around the beach all day flicking metal slugs for tailor and putting a few pillies out or fishing light on the sand banks and gutter edges for whitting you can also have a heap of fun climbing around the headland at double island point itself. The fishing can be fantastic here. I've seen just about everything pulled in off these rocks or watched it swim past. Unfortunatly I didnt get a lot of pictures this trip but I'll be heading up again really soon and take a few pics of the climb around itself as it can be pretty sketchy at times.

If your looking to fish this area my suggestion is to take a mate, even if the swell is really small the climb canstill get you. We watched a pretty over zealous bloke fall from the rocks on this day, luckily for him he landed in deep enough water, had he fallen thirty seconds earlier we wouldnt have had to worry about bearly for the rest of the day :P

He was a pretty talented fella because when he popped back up out of the water he seemed really proud that he hadnt dropped his tallie of VB. 6769_106073086500_649531500_2589468_5063786_n.jpg

That is a massive school of mullet that we watched hanging in really close to the rocks. It was really amazing to watch them scatter when the resident groper (going on 2 meters long) moved with supprising speed for his size straight t=into the middle of them to get his breakfast.

We not only got to check out the groper and a stack of mullet in between fishing but we also watched several small schools of really big 1.5 meter plus mackeral and yellowtail kingfish swim past. I tell you what they must have been well fed because with 8 blokes slinging metal slugs of all discriptions about 5 meters in front of their noses it would have looked like a bait school taking off but the didnt even look!

But the best sight from the rocks was by far the whales!!

They came to within 25 meters! 6769_106073131500_649531500_2589476_4632091_n.jpg

The whales hung about for about 40 minutes before moving on, I'm not sure if double island point was of the navigation landmarks the whales use on their way north, as they often seems to stop at these significant points for a bit or weather they were just stopping to say G'day, either way it was really cool to watch.

Our camera went flat about 20 minutes after this, nice organisational skills on my behalf, I never think of things like changing the camera but we did get a few picture of fish we caught over the morning.

We went on to catch A LOT of trevally, another four mackeral up to 97 cms, two cod to 65 cms, a small snapper to 3 kilos, a barracuda to 95cms and a stack of bream the biggest of wich was 37cms.

All in all it was a great day and the point produced the goods as it always does. 6769_106075356500_649531500_2589526_567985_n.jpg

Yeah its pretty amazing that you can stand on the rocks fishing and have these big beautiful creatures come up and eye ball you so close. I've been told by a mate who catches sand worms on the north shore for a living, that the whales often stop there. I;ve been in the water close to double island and heard them clicking underwater aswell.

FREEWILLY wrote:

That thing is going to hammer!!!!!

It really does, I took it up to Noosa a couple of weeks ago to take my brother out for its maiden voyage. I took it for a run on my own while I was waiting for him and its really quick. you can basicaly turn it 90 degrees at full throtel as well.. I was really impressed with the way it handeled the swell crossing the bar as well. Great boat!

don't want to sound too crook but those spanish macks you got laying on the rocks look a bit small 75cm is legal for them and just rough measurements of the biggest bream in the same photo looks roughly half the length of the biggest mack in the photo hope this helps anyone being pinched by the autorities and you also need to clip there side fin on spanish

mark

tugger wrote:

don't want to sound too crook but those spanish macks you got laying on the rocks look a bit small 75cm is legal for them and just rough measurements of the biggest bream in the same photo looks roughly half the length of the biggest mack in the photo hope this helps anyone being pinched by the autorities and you also need to clip there side fin on spanish

mark

I think the photo is a little deceptive... looks like the macs are a little bent and higher on the rocks than the bream. Good indication is look at the size of the guys dunlop volleys...I didn't know bigfoot wore volleys and fished off rocks :P

Frikking awesome days fishing... can you camp near DIP??

Yeah you sure can, you can camp about a ten minute drive south back down the beach, most of the camp sites are up behind the dunes so you can really get out of the wind. The camping is really top notch here. Having the inflateable is great too. I can pull it out of the back of the can, blow it up, stick the merc 25 on the back and 20 minutes later you are fishing some amazing reefs. You see some really big fish of this headland and even cruising the reefs further out. I've just set a rod holder up on the transom so I dont have to hold onto the rod while trawling. If anyone is interested in heading up there one weekend let me know.

Archived