Take me to your leader

blairv

Hi Guys

Now I am a converted braid user (having a great time with the new line) I am wondring what is the best leader to use for with it.

Is there a difference if I use live baits, lures or plastics? Or will one do the job?

If so what is everyone's recommendation? I have been using some old 10lb mono - but it is running out and i know there must be better things out there.

BTW had a massive time at Colmslie the other night got a big hookup on livies and got it right in close but then bit me off :ohmy:

Has been a long time since I have seen line being peeled off so quickly. Started as a few small nudges, then a quick whizz as some drg went out a little, picjed the line up and gave it a little pull then BAM :woohoo: we were off!

Made a cold and quiet night alot more exciting - has anyone seen the mad guy playing the drums down there? Guy went for hours - annoying really :S

Anyways back on subject any opinions about leaders would be good - using 8lb braid.

Thanks and tight lines

Blair

hey mate, depends on what water, taget species etc... personally i use that pen x10 crap in the brissy river because the water quality id crap so it dosnt matter (went and got it in most breaking strains), clearer waters i use sunline or even that penn stuff too if im trolling.

8lb braid 10 lb FLUROCARBON quality leader

you can go 15lb or even 30lb on 8 lb braid dependin on how tough the fish are.

I have caught jew on 10lb leader, cod on 6lb leader, bream on 6 lb leader, flathead on

10lb leader. threadies on 20lb leader, taylor on 30lb leader.

start light but keep a few extras in the tacklebox in case you need to upgrade in a hurry.

cheers

hard to answer without knowing what you're chasing and in what sort of water

as a general rule in the brissy chasing bream 10lb or so leader will be fine, fluro mono not so important as the water clarity is pretty low anyway. research your targets, obviously the toothier or rougher their mouths the stronger you'll need, also hard fighters in tight structure you'll want heavier leader. stay away from flurocarbon in the higher breaking strains (say 30lb and above) as it doesnt knot well

i use sunline fluro in 20lb and below and black magic tough trace in anything heavier, i dont really use any higher than 40lb tough trace in the river, which i use for threadfin and bigger squire in tight structure. chasing jewies i'll go down to 20lb fluro to start, problem is it can be pretty hard to exclusively target jewies without thready bycatch jumping on and if you have to lock up on a thready with 20lb it will usually rub through

i dont really fish for anything smaller than squire and the lightest i go on squire is 10lb fluro, and this is a big gamble lol as when the 50-60+ models jump on you will want something heavier. lately ive found a few big squire and we've been using 40lb on them and still getting done around pilons sometimes

hope that all helps

Firstly, that mad drummer dude is down there sometimes, and it does get on your nerves after a while! :D I have been snapped off twice there recently, one by a jewie that made a late run under the jetty on the oyster-encrusted pilons, and the other day I caught something big on my flick rod with a squid strip as bait. I think it might have been a ray, but can't be sure, as it never got to the surface. It was an almighty fight but the fact that I only had 6lb braid and 6lb leader kind of went to my head, as I pussy-footed around trying to manouvre him to the beach and when that didn't work, I tried to muscle him a bit (yes, I lost patience!), that is when my leader broke off! :(

I have found that if I am using live bait, I need at least 20-30lb mono, as any fish that tackles the livies I use will generally be a bit heavier. I use 20lb black magic and 30lb thor. I reckon eventually I will be able to go a bit lighter once I get experience in tackling big hookups, but for now, I think slightly heavier is better.

May or may not help.....

Cheers,

Ryan.

PS - We will have to get down for a fish soon, I am coming up to a bit of leave mid september for a couple of weeks, and plan to fish a great deal!!!!

Archived