Boggy Creek Heavy Metals etc

thriller

Hi all.

I have been catching a few fish here and there in good old Boggy Creek,

Lost a lot of tackle and have let every fish go...

I am not mad keen on fish BUT, my pregnant wife would like it I brought home a fish now and then.. lol she loves em.

I was hoping one of you could help me out here,

My big Question is, Are fish Caught from Boggy Creek SAFE to eat???????

Being so close to the Airport and the Poo shute and so and so forth.

Some scientific evidence would be comforting.

Thanx people....

thriller wrote:

Hi all.

I have been catching a few fish here and there in good old Boggy Creek,

Lost a lot of tackle and have let every fish go...

I am not mad keen on fish BUT, my pregnant wife would like it I brought home a fish now and then.. lol she loves em.

I was hoping one of you could help me out here,

My big Question is, Are fish Caught from Boggy Creek SAFE to eat???????

Being so close to the Airport and the Poo shute and so and so forth.

Some scientific evidence would be comforting.

Thanx people....

hi, according to this website, http://www.ehmp.org/EcosystemHealthMonitoringProgram/2008ReportCardResults/CatchmentResults/MoretonBayCatchments.aspx most of places are not so safe.

If you have a close look at the moreton bay map on that link, boggy appears to fall inside the warterloo bay area which gets a B-, yet you go around the corner and your in the lower brisbane catchment which scores an F! Hard to believe really. And I know they tested the water but did they actually test any fish for chemicals and metals etc? before and after cooking? I'm sure there is alot of guys on here that have eaten the odd fish or 2 from the river, myself included, no problems.......yet. :unsure:

Healthy Waterways do not test for heavy metals and the problem is that these toxins build up slowly over time in the fatty (adipose) tissue. You cannot get rid of them. Eating an occasional fish will probably have no effect, but if you were to eat fish regularly that had high concentrations of heavy metals it would affect your health slowly over time.

I do vaguely remember one study which found that sharks and swordfish had the highest concentrations of heavy metals - and this is because they are top of the food chain and the heavy metals build up and are not excreted.

I have previously eaten an occasional fish from the Brisbane River, but probably won't in future.

Jeremy

I'd say around 90% of what I catch I keep, how ever most of my fishing is done at shorncliffe in places that are sandbank at low tide. So I always assumed the fish I have been catching have been bay/ocean fish, thus minimizing any chemical levels ect.. Anyway I hope thats how it goes because some weeks I catch and eat upto 20 bream/whiting.

I honestly think that the odd fish won't have any effect. I'm pretty sure my smoking and alcohol intake will get to me before supposed heavy metals do! :D I reckon the fact that we are seeing a lot more fish activity in the river is an indication that it is doing a hell of a lot better, and improving all the time. Take into account that these agencies that come up with this data are single-minded with green issues, and the majority of it is politically loaded in order to help out with the lobbying! I might be speaking out of turn on an issue that I am not that familiar with (sorry about that!), but I will continue to have the odd feed, as it really won't affect my type of beauty :P

this has maybe brought up an interesting factor about fishing! how many of you have actually seen a sick or unhealthy fish, i personally don't think they last to long, they either get eaten by other larger fishies, or die and become crab bait in a sence. have caught the odd bream with weird markings here and there, and decided to let them go, but thats about it for me, also note! i think it's was the noose river, recently where some sort of weird disease has affected the ecosystem there, and i would have thought that ecosystem would have been better than brizzy's. personallt i have eaten crab, prawn, whiting, bream, snapper, coddies, jew, along with other species for years now, and i'm still here... :ohmy:. so the age ol question is i think it would be safe to eat anything caught in and around boggy creek, more chances of getting food poisening from offshore species, and just a reminder to those that venture out that way,, find out the difference between a red bass, and a rather large jackie,, they both look similar, but 1 has the potential to kill a small child if eaten...and make an adult very sick indeed, thinking it's only around the corner for these fish to be boated, as the water warms up a lil.

robbo.

Ciguatera is vastly different from heavy metals.

The most likely cause of the deformed bass in the Noosa river is a pesticide used by nut farmers that is banned in about sixty countries. The amount of trace toxins (including dioxins which trouble Sydney harbour) that can harm us is incredible and to test for them all takes a long time and many thousands of dollars. I don't think the uni's and organisations testing on a large scale have any bias except to have a clean river. If development and construction had stricter controls on it, our river and bay would have a much better rating and have even more fish for us to enjoy catching, releasing and eating.

/>http://www.health.qld.gov.au/ph/Documents/ehu/19397.pdf

a link to ciguatera facts, it is a really really nasty thing and i have heard stories of people having long term problems because of it.

On a side note, one of my dad's mates had a problem after eating a lot of swordfish. He would be seven foot in summer and five foot in winter. Damn mercury... :P

noname wrote:

find out the difference between a red bass, and a rather large jackie,, they both look similar

Red Bass have two very defined pits between the eyes and the mouth. Dead giveaway everytime.

Ciguatera is a funny thing that for some unknown reason must only affect caucasian people. I know a few Islanders and Indigenous people from Cleveland who eat Chinaman fish whenever they catch them. According to them back in the Islands everything gets eaten, no matter what it is. I read up on this and a study has no revealed that it could because they consume lots of green pawpaw, coconut and other green tropical fruits. Food for thought anyway.

As far as I'm concerned I don't eat everything I catch, as some fish taste like poo. But there is toxins, chemical and metals in the air, water and food we eat, of course they're going to be in seafood where everything eventually ends up. It's just part of life.

Archived