Tagging Bass in the kayak

elops

Then I release the fish usually getting a shower as thanks.

Then I write down measurements of fish the fork length and the total length.

This process does not always run smoothly some times they will flick when you dont expect it and get away untagged or not measured if they are tagged and not measured I write not measured if not tagged they are lucky. While doing this I get spiked every now and then as well, but after trying various methods this is what works best for me.

Regards Steve. bt6_AFO.jpg

Thanks for that Steve, I'm guessing your thumb grip would be nice and strong mate. You wouldn't want some of the larger models flipping around your legs inside the yak hey ? :blink: Thank goodness for the comfort lift !!!

I bring them aboard the canoe and have enough trouble keeping them quiet.

Love your work mate.

P.S I'm always on the look out for the tags.

I've not tagged from my yak, but I like to drop them in a bucket of fresh water between capture and tagging for a minute or two, gives us both a chance to catch our breathe, and let me get all the gear ready. Being a SOT would be easy enough to do the same from the yak.

Only issue I have is none of the fishing clubs or stocking associations I am a member of are ANSA affiliated, so I cant tag unless part of someone elses research!

nice thread steve,

if you've tried tagging threadies before i'd love to hear your method, have tried on a number of fish and only managed 1 firm tagup but it was hard work and wasn't able to get good measurements.

have been trying to do it with the fish in the water, caged in a big environet. get decky to grip jaw and hold the net in place while i put tag in then try to get measurements lol. (all of this after removing hooks to avoid mass lacerations of deckies hand lol)

very tricky especially with metre+ fish but i dont wish to bring them out of the water as the tagging and measuring process may last longer than i'd want a big fish out of water for :S

cheers for any insight

Feral wrote:

I've not tagged from my yak, but I like to drop them in a bucket of fresh water between capture and tagging for a minute or two, gives us both a chance to catch our breathe, and let me get all the gear ready. Being a SOT would be easy enough to do the same from the yak.

Only issue I have is none of the fishing clubs or stocking associations are ANSA affiliated, so I cant tag unless part of someone elses research!

Infofish now has a tagging program called Stocktag which the PRFMA is involved in if you want to tag fish on the dam give me or Ross a ring we would be glad to set you up. I would also be appreciate any help on the project we are running at this time.

Regs. Steve.

nadders wrote:

nice thread steve,

if you've tried tagging threadies before i'd love to hear your method, have tried on a number of fish and only managed 1 firm tagup but it was hard work and wasn't able to get good measurements.

have been trying to do it with the fish in the water, caged in a big environet. get decky to grip jaw and hold the net in place while i put tag in then try to get measurements lol. (all of this after removing hooks to avoid mass lacerations of deckies hand lol)

very tricky especially with metre+ fish but i dont wish to bring them out of the water as the tagging and measuring process may last longer than i'd want a big fish out of water for :S

cheers for any insight

Hi mate .

the best method for tagging large fish is to use a purpose built sling/stretcher made from a fish friendly material with a built in measure this requires two people to lift into the boat. a foam matrress cut to size will help support the fish on the deck if you cover the fishes head with a wet towel this will help to keep them quiet. tagging them in the net without measuring is a good option but researchers want measurements(sometimes too many, some research projects have poor survival rates because of the time the fish spend out of the water)I have never tagged threadfin as I normally fish alone and release them at the side of the boat to ensure survival.I hope this helps if you want PM me I would be happy to help.

Regards Steve.

yeah i have been thinking about a sling i might have to get into gear and make it during the following months while the threadfin are spawning and im not targetting them

it is hard work tagging them boatside esp shallow water threadies that aren't floating belly up, they get pretty angry lol

elops wrote:

Infofish now has a tagging program called Stocktag which the PRFMA is involved in if you want to tag fish on the dam give me or Ross a ring we would be glad to set you up. I would also be appreciate any help on the project we are running at this time.

Regs. Steve.

Really,?

Will have to read the meeting minutes a bit more closely then wont I! I'll try and catch up with Ross.

Archived