Monduran Next Week For 8 Days

dassa

Just want bragg a little that were heading to monduran next saturday for a LAZY 8 days. Now enough of that just wanting to know if any one is heading up there for the monduran family classic. :P

I'm taking the misses and to girls up and this will be our third trip and hoping third time lucky.Now that I've got my new electric and all I have to now is to mount it,so bring on the barra. :lol: So with some luck I will break the big fat donut up there along with sneaking up to awonga for the first time.So if you are up that way drop in and say g'day and have a beer,morepiss morepiss,we'll be on the powered sight on the right nearest the camp kitchen.

cheers Dassa

Some good barra in the sticks early in the morn.

lee and I fished it late one morning, I got demolished by a big barra first cast. hit me next to an underwater log and that was me goneskies.

This was using 20lbs at damn near breaking strain. although my rather light fluro leader didn't stand a cahnce against the submerged object :(

I did miss another one, gave me a good solid thump near a drop off in amongst the trees, but no hook up :( All I got for my trouble was having to retie my lure on because I didn't fancy casting a lure around with heaps of roughed up leader from one thump!

give the sticks a miss all they do is lose you fish try the weed islands and the points a good work out with slick rigs there is a point heading into bird bay that produced loads of fish and the weed island back a bit byrt these spots are always got pople on it and it is not the sketters you have to worry about it is the fools that dont know what they are doing. also find some were that is quite and there is no hellcat in it as i might be heading back up this week end

The comp will see the close waters to the 3 ramps and basin crowded, so your best bet to dodge the donut is fish prior to the week end.

In saying that, most will stay close, and there are plenty of bays, points, lay downs to fish away from the crowds. That would be my option, a lot of boats on the water will see the more popular (read obvious) fish holding spots busier than Queen Street, with a resultant shut down bite to follow I would imagine.

Try some of the other plastics available rather than slick rigs. To get a decent tail beat out of those things you need to roll them pretty quickly, plus the standard hooks they come with leave a lot to be desired. Also, they weigh a tonne, all fine if you dont mind trimming lead, snipping tail wrists or boiling the plac to get some additional suppleness out of them, but soft plastics like 5" Hollowbellies, riged on a 1/4 ounce backbone jig are a far better opton, more tail beat reasonance at a slower roll, less weight means the plac rides higher in the water colum, they can be "splatted" down on the cast to resemble a boney bream flicking, all equals more barra.

The weed edges are obvious, but dont be scared to work the plastics in the bays, easpecially early morn in the 2 to 6 foot shallows, the bara will be there. Shallow divers like B52's, Richos Extractors etc etc are also fine, but up-grade the splits and trebles, halco fish rings and Owners will do the job.

Remember, be quiet as you enter a bay, turn off the main motor and come in under electric. If a spot looks fishy (bait flicking, birds feeding, creek mouth etc), tie off and work it for an hour or so, you can never throw to many casts at a good looking spot, and mix up the presentations, soft plastic, suspending hard body slow twitched, change retrieves and roll speeds.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived