Bait and Braid

fishing_hardcore

Hi all

a few days ago I was fishing at yeronga, I was playing around with a popper and at the same time I threw a livie out.

Well started to pull up and felt a big snagg on the bait line (15lb braid, 30lb ffc leader).

I wrapped the line round my sleeve and proceeded to snap the line, the line didn't break and I felt a huge weight, It felt like a big log and I was actually pulling it in, got it within about 5 meters and low and behold it started to swim out again...

Big sting Ray, no doubt and this one was big.

My 8kg rod was prctically useless as it was doubled over pretty well just trying to bring the thing in.

So I started to bring it in by hand, got it close then it must have dug into the mud because it stuck like a rock.

I tried to pull it in but the line snapped, snapped at the knot on the swivel.

So my question is -

I am using 15lb braid with a sinker then a swivel then my leader

Of course the braid always breaks at the knot, my guess is from the knot strength of braid.

The knot on the braid is very much the weakest link and always breaks far too early for the line class, which tells me that it probably breaks at around 10lb.

So how do you overcome this?

cheers

Maybe try running a bit of mono straight from your braid and tie swivels onto that. I have noticed that braid doesn't seem to hold knots as well as mono. I usually join braid to mono with an albright knot (? Is that the one?), and then swivels from there.

A fella showed me the other day that if you tie a blood knot on braid to a swivel or whatever, after passing through the loop near the swivel to finish it off, run it through the loop created on the braid furtherest from the swivel. I don't know if I have explained it clearly, but it seems to work for me, and I would say that my braid (the whole system, including knots) works above it's weight on most occasions.

Cheers,

Ryan.

best knot for braid to terminal is a double or triple palomar knot, however its better again to tie a mono or fluro leader directly to the braid

bimini in the braid to albright will give you a connection stronger than the mainline if done properly, also search mid knot/pr knot/gt knot (basically same thing) which is another excellent leader knot

no need at all for a swivel in braid unless you want the sinker above a trace, but a leader is still very advisable

ryanyoung wrote:

Maybe try running a bit of mono straight from your braid and tie swivels onto that. I have noticed that braid doesn't seem to hold knots as well as mono. I usually join braid to mono with an albright knot (? Is that the one?), and then swivels from there.

A fella showed me the other day that if you tie a blood knot on braid to a swivel or whatever, after passing through the loop near the swivel to finish it off, run it through the loop created on the braid furtherest from the swivel. I don't know if I have explained it clearly, but it seems to work for me, and I would say that my braid (the whole system, including knots) works above it's weight on most occasions.

Cheers,

Ryan.

Pretty sure what you're describing is a locking half-blood not. Works pretty good with braid

As stated above use a bimini twist to tie a double in the braid. One thing to keep in mind though is that this will shift the emphasis to another part of the rig. If you stick with using a swivel make sure it is up to the task.

Ideally the weakest link in your rig should be the main line, that way you know exactly what you are dealing with.

Hope this helps and good luck taming those monsters!

Cheers

Dan

hey thanks guys there is some awsome knots there

just one question, a bimini in the braid to albright means the Bimini loop is the start of the albright loop?

yeah and this stingray was the biggest sleepiest sting ray in the river I reckon.

It did not even make any runs , I would spend 5 minutes wenching it close to shore, then it would seem to wake up and slowly swim back out again, leaving me to repeat the process.

I just wish I got a look at it.

cheers

you have an 8kg line rated rod, so on a steady draw could pull more, then had to put a lot of pressure on the stingray to pull it in. i don't think your knot is that bad. most braids will break above their stated strength, apart from the really cheap stuff and the really good Japanese stuff that is IGFA rated for line class records.

tie a nice knot to something strong, use some weighing scales that go high enough and i think you will find that the stingray was just too big to manhandle out of that mud without literally rope!

Yep, I had a similar thing happen to me last week but I was using 30lb whiplash with 50lb leader trying for jewies. Thought I had snagged but with a good yank managed to get some line, thought it must be a log or something but kept pulling it closer and got a bit of movement so I knew it must be a decent ray. Finally got it boatside and sure enough about 3ft wide this one was. Bloody stingrays! :angry:

Feral wrote:

Knots will always fail first,pretty much regardless of the knot used. If their failing upgrade the line appropriately.

9/10 times my 30lb braid breaks at the mainline with a bimini to improved albright, and a 4 or 5 turn (depending on leader strength) uni to the lure. bit of superglue on the knot as well strenghtens it though i usualy dont bother

Nadders, it could be that your bimini is breaking at the top part of the knot, leaving a single strand bit of braid which is slightly fuzzed, giving the impression that it is breaking at the mainline. While I don't doubt your skills, given your reports on threadies and jews, it could be worth checking, as this is where mine have failed in the past.

i do a minimum of 40 twists on the bimini, and for the improved albright in 30lb i do 5 wraps up 4 wraps down, then i lock the tag end with a 3 or 4 wrap hitch on the mainline

if i'm using 50lb braid or a thicker 30lb i might do 4 up 4 down, few enough wraps so it snugs up nicely and i make sure to pull hard on the braid tag before doing the 4 wrap hitch and cutting ;)

have to use alot of pressure to close it all up before cutting tags too

Archived