Fishfinders?

fenelious

Hey guys,

I'm after some advice on what Fishfinder to buy - it'll be used from a canoe mainly in stocked impoundments and freshwater rivers, but maybe a bit in coastal estuaries etc. My budget is under $500, and I have a good GPS so I don't need that feature (if that's relevant?). Thanks.

Also, another question - Is it completely inadvisable to use 3kg line and leader, 1-3kg line weight rod, and 1500 reel to catch bass and yellowbelly that might reach 40-50cm? I have a bigger rig, but it's not as nice...

Thanks again.

I'm not sure about the Fishfinder, but the combo is fine. Yellowbelly fight less as they get bigger and fatter (especially in impoundments), so no problem there. I've also landed 45cm Bass on my 4lb Bream combo with 6lb leader, so that'll be good to go too. Maybe if you're flicking expensive jackalls and megabass lures into heavy structure, it might be advisable to beef it up a bit, but otherwise, go for it

Felenious mate I've got a humminbird 343c it features a brilliant color 320V x 240H 3.5" display and advanced DualBeam PLUS sonar with 2400 Watts PTP (300 RMS)power output. Cost me $499 at whitworths at the gabba (jan 09). Has Plenty of power for good ground/ structure definition. it has the same capacity as the 383 but without the GPS. HAs 80hz & 200hz frequencies (dual beam)

Archived