Late Threadie at Bulimba

ryanyoung

G'day all,

Had a planned trip to Bulimba Yacht Club this afternoon/evening with Angus, Blair and Juls.

Unfortunately Angus wasn't able to make it (hope your feeling better soon), but Blair, his wife Maria and Juls came down for a visit.

After arriving at about 1500 and Blair and Maria shortly after, the routine began with gathering livies, and whilst not abundant today, were easy enough to get enough to start with. It was looking very crowded down there, with a lot of people around with rods in their hands, however the gale-force winds made their stays short.

Soon enough, Juls arrived (Great to meet you mate!) and we all got down for some serious fishing, braving the wind and trying in vain to get some distance with the casts. Even with heavy lead on the lines, the headwind was keeping distance to a minimum :angry: !

The afternoon wore on, with one bite but no takers, as we waited until "magic hour", the couple of hours after the peak of the tide, which coincided with dusk today. As it turns out, "Magic hour" wasn't so magic today :ohmy: , and there wasn't a bite on the lines!

As darkness set in, there was still no activity, although we were still hopeful.....To no avail. Juls packed up to catch the ferry home, and soon after Maria left too, leaving Blair and myself to hope in vain for the zzzzzzz of line being whipped off the spool.

Through the evening, Blair got snapped off twice by mystery creatures, which were behaving weird, although one could have been a large stingray, and got the odd nibble with no hook-ups :( . My two rods were quiet as, no activity whatsoever, and I started dreading a donut. Blair packed up at 2100, but I was given a time extension by the commander-in-chief, so I stayed on.

I decided to stay another hour, as beyond that I doubted I could keep the eyes open, as the wind had thoroughly blasted them all night. I settled down to begin the hour by playing phone games (I wasn't having any luck there either!). The next thing, I was startled (Scared the cr*p out of me actually!) by the sound I had been hoping for all night....zzzzzzzzz as the line jolted with a short run. I bolted upright and jumped up to get the rod, realising after I got it in my hands, that I didn't have the headlamp or landing net! It must have looked pretty funny, rod in one hand allowing line to be stripped off as I fumbled for lamp and net, before heading down to the boat-ramp to land the fish. It gave a few short runs, and the odd headshake, and my assumption was that I had hooked a small jew, as it didn't feel like it had much weight behind it (I think this was due mainly to the angle that I was fighting it on). It was a surprise to finally see a Threadie thrashing at the ramp, and I let out a chuckle followed by a curse as the citycat wash drenched me as I tried to net him! It was a quick trip up to the brag mat (He came in at 83cm) and the obligatory photo, before deciding to let him live to fight another day. It took some effort to get the hook out, even though it was in clean, circle hooks baffle me sometimes! :laugh: .

He was very slow to swim off, I held him there for a good three minutes before he finally showed a bit of life and swam off slowly without even a thankyou! :P

Anyway, a quick call to Blair to let him know the night wasn't a loss, and then it was pack-up time, getting out of there just after 2200.

It was a great night, with great company, and once the wind died down, good weather. It was great to meet a new face, and catch up with friends.

Cheers,

Ryan.

DSCF0432_AFO.jpg

arrrrghhhh! you did get one after I left!!!! haha, good job! I'm glad your persistence was rewarded in the end. Thanks for the invite out - quite pleased to meet you awesome three and was able to pick up some tips and ideas. Let me know if you ever want any company around there - just a quick walk for me.

Yeah, we will have to organise something, keen as! It was really weird last night, we thought for sure we would catch something around dusk, as all the environmentals and past experience were pointing at that (minus the blo*dy wind!). This one was caught an hour and a half before low tide, or there abouts! It kind of puts my "best fishing times" out the window, although that could have just been a fluke last night.

Oh, by the way, last night it was once again a poddy mullet that did the damage.

Cheers,

Ryan.

chris_stewart14 wrote:

Holy $hit Ryan - 7 hours sitting on the bank mate you deserve that Threddie!

Top fish too... Good onya for releasing it.

Chris

Ha ha, mate, had some good people to pass the time with, which makes all the difference :) ! Time flies when you are just talking, laughing and checking the occasional line. It was a great night out.

Ryan.

aidanwebb wrote:

Nice Threadie.. The two snap off's were probably from the slimy Eel I caught and released on Wednesday night from the ramp, just waiting in a dark corner like a mugger.

could have been Bullies too, I have often caught them around threadies when there is a bit of a chew on.

clean bite through the line would be a Bullie, if you line is all rasped up in the last 4 inched it could be anything like eel, ray, threadie, pike eel, shovelnose.

cheers

great fish ryan!

anyone notice the fins and tail on that fish? they looked a bit rough......any idea what would cause that kind of damage in the river? i wonder if they get a bit frisky around mating time and have a crack at each other or something....... they look like the fish you sometimes see in supermarkets that have been there too long.

thousandyards wrote:

great fish ryan!

anyone notice the fins and tail on that fish? they looked a bit rough......any idea what would cause that kind of damage in the river? i wonder if they get a bit frisky around mating time and have a crack at each other or something....... they look like the fish you sometimes see in supermarkets that have been there too long.

I just had a look back at photos of others I have caught, you are right, the tail and fins were a bit ragged. He was pretty lethargic when hooked too, and took quite a while to swim off after being released. I have no idea how it happens, hard living maybe? Wouldn't know how the fish looks in the supermarket, have never seen one except flatties, bream and the like at the fish factory when buying bait.

Cheers,

Ryan.

probably because they are in spawning and not feeding as actively as normal, hence lethargic behaviour

though that one is male, he has probably been spending most of his time fertilizing eggs instead of hunting and keeping fit, lets hope hes doing a good job down there and his big female counterparts are pumping them out

nadders wrote:

probably because they are in spawning and not feeding as actively as normal, hence lethargic behaviour

though that one is male, he has probably been spending most of his time fertilizing eggs instead of hunting and keeping fit, lets hope hes doing a good job down there and his big female counterparts are pumping them out

He should be doing wonders with his second lease on life! I didn't realise how much satisfaction there was in releasing them. I felt pretty good when I finally saw him swim off, made my night actually :P !

Archived