PB's at Bully-mba.

ryanyoung

G'day all,

Had another afternoon/evening at Bulimba tonight with Juls, her house-mate Isabella and Angus. The target was Threadies, with the same routine of gathering livies and then setting in for the wait!

We arrived at around 4pm, and after getting everything ready, sat back and relaxed, whilst the strong (although not as strong as last night) wind played minor havoc with casting.

There was not much interest at all until just as Juls and Isabella rocked up, Gus's rod took a bend for the better and a short amount of line got stripped. Thinking out loud as he was reeling it in, he stated that he thought he had a cattie on the end. It was a surprise then, as the fish came to the surface, to find a fat 34cm Breambo dangling off the hook. He had taken a good-sized live herring and smashed it whole! This was a PB for Gus in the Brissy river, it being the biggest and caught on livies at that! :P

DSCF0434_AFO.jpg

DSCF0437_AFO.jpg

Still we waited....and waited! Dinner time came around, and I got a surprise call off Shelley, asking if we would all like some Threadfin Mornay to mung on, to which we all thought was a great idea, so down came the family and we served up the mornay. It tasted pretty good (Wait out for a recipe post). The family stayed for a while, with some activity on the rods, but nothing huge, and the kiddies hunting the resident rat that lives around those parts :laugh: .

The family took off at around the same time as Juls and Isabella called it a night, and Gus and I hunkered down for the long wait again. It was starting to get a bit late, with both of us stating that "magic hour was just around the corner", when Gus's rod gave a big bend! I managed to give a "oh yeah" just before the line started getting stripped, and Gus bounded to his feet, stating straight away that whatever was on the end of the line felt different from the usual. We were both a bit perplexed as it made several runs down river, but on getting it close enough for an ID, we saw that he had a Bull shark. I couldn't believe my eyes, as I had never seen a shark caught before. Gus couldn't believe his eyes for a completely different reason......He had just landed a shark on mono leader :woohoo: !

DSCF0440_AFO.jpg

After that, some quick updates were texted to Juls and Blair (who couldn't make it due to work committments), but it wasn't fifteen minutes later that Gus was on again, this time on his lighter rod. He got the stick in his hands just in time to be busted off, and inspections of the line, it had been sheared through. It was at this time that we dashed around madly, reeling in line and changing over to wire traces, so as the next time, we would have the best opportunity at nailing another bully ;) !

After settling down from the adrenaline rush, we got back to talking cr*p and passing the time checking lines. Then my rod started going off, as the drag was battered by a fast moving specimen. This thing definately had me on the back foot, and it wasn't until it decided to turn back my way (from somewhere down near Pinkenba ha ha), that I managed to gain some ground and bring him in closer. Eventually, with my arms throbbing, he came close enough for Gus to gather up in the net, and there I had my first bull shark! He ended up being 85cm or there abouts.

DSCF0444_AFO-20090929.jpg

I was so bl*#dy stoked, sitting down again, I couldn't help but check my lines visually every half a second or so, as the oxygen finally got through to my arms! We now understood why there weren't any threadies hanging around tonight!

We stayed out until 1130pm with no more bites, but it was the best session I have had on the river. I am still grinning with the catches of the night. It was great of Juls to come over again, and good to meet you Isabella, and thanks for the hot tips on how to handle sharks Gus, handy to know.

So all up, we had a very enjoyable night on the river, with PB's being the order of the night.

Cheers and thanks for reading,

Ryan.

PS - Sorry about the title, I am still a little bit excited :laugh: !

Feral wrote:

Good on ya's! Dig Gus tell you to never to hang a bully in a landing net over your feet? They are experts of biting great holes in them and falling through! (on to you feet!)

No mate, he must have forgotten about that tip. It was pretty funny, trying to do the shark a favour by removing the hooks, he had several goes at me. The circle hooks work wonders, but they are buggers to get out, especially when your hand is on the menu :P !

James W wrote:

to catch the same shark angus lost, thats pretty cool! :laugh:

got me thinkin it might be a resident shark??..not a cruiser...i always thought they would just cruise up and down all the time..must be something there to keep em there?

Yeah, it's pretty weird. The shark/s must have been hanging around for hours, as the bittens baits attest to. Normally I would have expected small jewies, threadies and stingrays for the amount of time we were there, but there was nothing all night. There is usually a great selection of poddy mullet on offer, and these were jumping around most of the night. I don't know enough about the habits of sharks to say yay or nay to a resident shark, none of my bust-offs in the past have had anywhere near that speed and power!.....Weird!

What a good night. Thanks for the company as usual Ryan.

Good to meet you Juls and Isabella (and the real Tobie)!!

As soon as those first few mullet came in cut clean in two I was pretty certain what was out there. But as Ryan had cast net a small tailor the day before and seen a guy catch a slightly larger one, well you can never be to sure.

I think I was lucky to land the first shark on the mono leader. The circle hook however preformed exactly as it should and the mono was not even frayed. Still the second hit I had no chance. GOod to see Ryan pick up the same shark later and good my hook back though hahaha!

Interestinly enough the smaller shark fought significantly harder than the bigger one both when I hooked it and when Ryan did. I had the larger one subdued within about 2 minutes but the second had Ryan going for much closer to 5 or 6. This was on very comparable gear as well.

Cant wait to do it again.

Angus

Nice report, good pics too,

yeah when you said there was somthing weird biting blairv off the other night I sussed that they would have been bullies.

Nice bream too, looks like the river is firing, I caught some nice herring at indropilly ramp last week too so the bait is moving upstream with the salt, should see a good summer providing there are no massive floods.

cheers

Good job guys! Very glad to meet you too Gus! If Ryan's arms were sore, I can't imagine what I would be feeling trying to bring in one of those..ha ha. Hopefully I'll be able to stay late some night to pick up something myself. Great fun regardless, and very good company.

And the mornay was so yum! Not enough has been said about the mornay...thanks shelly and gorgeous kiddies!

tobie10 wrote:

Good job guys! Very glad to meet you too Gus! If Ryan's arms were sore, I can't imagine what I would be feeling trying to bring in one of those..ha ha. Hopefully I'll be able to stay late some night to pick up something myself. Great fun regardless, and very good company.

And the mornay was so yum! Not enough has been said about the mornay...thanks shelly and gorgeous kiddies!

Actually Juls you are not wrong! Dinner Delivery was fantastic with Salmon Mornay and Cheese Muffins!

Cheers Shelley!

Angus

Archived