wed. 30/09/2009 brissy river help

alex1

Hi all, I promised the young fella I woul take him fishing during the school holidays so I'm planning to go out wed morning. I will put the boat in at fisherman's ramp. I'm hoping to be there by 7 am or so. I thought I might try around mud after the tide turns as I picked up e few good tailor and a good cod a couple of weeks ago usin hard bodies around the drop off at the SW corner of mud.

Can anybody point me in the in the right direction if I wanted to go for a few whiting or garfish near the mouth of the river or should I bounce a few plastics for squire in the river. Any help would be appreciated and I will try to take a few pics and post them if we catch anything.thanks Alex.

hey mate. I don't have a boat and don't fish mud or the mouth too often so can't give you first hand exeperience...

But from what I read here... the squire at the mouth seem to be a closely guarded secret with the locations. A lot of people spend a lot of time finding their spots there so probably aren't too keen to give you direct info.

Gar and whiting... gar are everywhere... just burley up and they'll turn up at most places. Whiting.... I haven't targeted whiting outside of Manly/Lota before so can't help you there. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable in these areas will be able to help you better than I can :)

the best whing fishing in the river i have expereinced is the mudbanks on top of the tide near luggage point..inside the mouth just upstream from the green marker (near the poo chute) ya will see a stick sticking out...fish inside the stick at high tide with yabbies and live worms...good flathead too..

want gar?- in the stuff that comes straight out of the poo chute itself! not sure ya would eat em thou :blink:

mate the end of the new rock wall at the mouth , south wall , from the corner back up the river for about 250mtrs is sandy rubble , average depth on high tide 1.2-1.6mts, on the run out,start 250mtrs back up river and drift back to the corner at the end. yabbies or beach worms work well here for the whiting, but make sure you put a half or whole pilly out on a snell rig as well, all so a good spot for squire , bream , flatty , tailor , small mackeral , hardy heads galore at times. it is a great spot to drift with small soft plastics and hard bodies , and all so worth the go to throw a slug around too! hope this can give you some where to start in the river :)

sorry guys, no pics. We got to the ramp at about 7.30 am and launched the boat, the river was like glass. I had to stop at pinkenba to pick up the father in law. we then did a few drifts in front of the caltex wharf and picked up a few undersized squire. I used two rods, one was baited with squid and it accounted for the small squire. I also had another rod rigged with a 1/8 oz head and a 4" gulp minnow in peppered prawn. hooked up to something solid for a few seconds but I think it was bitting on the plastic and not hooked properly, he got off and then I had another solid run a few minutes later but no hook up.

we moved to the poo shute and threw a hard boby for a while with only one hit so decided to run out to mud. we fished the drop off on the SW side for a couple of hits but no luck.

went back to the caltex wharf at about 11 am, had a few more drifts. a few more undersized squire. two more solid hits on bait this time. one dropped , the other busted off. the wind picked up at about 11.30/12 so we called it a day.

better luck next time hey.

Alex

Archived