Kuala Rompin report Part 2

free2rome2

Hi there all AFO fishos,

Thought I'd drop a thread and report on my recent trip to Kuala Rompin (the Sailfish capital of Malaysia)... again. :)

Was there on the 27th, and we started at 8am, proceeded to fill our live baitwell with slimy mackerals, yellowtail etc.. and then headed onto to get some squids as well.

Planed for another half hour or so till we reached our Sailfish spot. We can actually see the 'boils'.... A whole bunch of sails were circling some bait fishes.

We quickly loaded up and drifted live baits with circle hooks, and within seconds.... Fish On!

Initially we had double hook-ups and later on had a total of 9 strikes but only landed 4.

Each fight lasted approximately 20-25 mins or so.

Also, I was again using my Olympus waterproof (a no-brainer kind, just point and shoot) camera, and managed to get some underwater shots of us releasing the majestic sails after some picture-taking of course...

Well, i'll just let the pictures do the talking...

Hope you will enjoy them...

Cheers!

IMG_0712-1.jpg

My 4th and latest Thomas Stroker custom made rod in action.

JonathanChuadoublehookup.jpg

Double hook-up

IMG_0720.jpg

Another double...

P9270217.jpg

Sails for everyone...

P9270261.jpg

P9270308.jpg

P9270132.jpg

P9270127.jpg

Catch and release is a must, so that we can fight another day... :)

P9270128.jpg

C & R

P9270135.jpg

C & R

P9270124.jpg

Assisting the sail to 'breathe'...

P9270120.jpg

Happily swimming away...

P9270336.jpg

Some table fish

Me and my new lucky TS rod...

P9270221.jpg

And last but not least underwater video of Catch N Release...

th_P9270138.jpg

I didn't get any pics of squids and other fishes cos we were busy fishing... ;)

Cheers guys and girls,

free2rome2

Hi tobie10,

No worries, if you're planning to come over, just let me know and we'll take good care of you and your mates.

Yeah, Malaysia can be quite unsafe, but i suppose it would be the same in almost any country that you go to (in one way or another), just have to know where to head on to... and avoid the grey areas.

But if you know someone who lives here and knows the place, it would be better.

Cheers!

Thanks free2rome2! I just looked at your profile and realized you're actually in Malaysia..haha. I've been to Malaysia (KL and Ipoh) a few times and have enjoyed it a lot, especially the food! I've always gone with people who grew up there which helps a lot, but yeah, can tell I shouldn't be just wandering around everywhere on my own. I'll send you a PM sometime if I get serious about going - to ask you a bit more details about the charter and area, etc.

Really great photos you took, makes me want to get one of those underwater cameras.

And Gus, yeah I'd love to catch some sail fish with yah!

Angus wrote:

Thanks for sharing. Certainly motivates to me to get over there!

Tobie10 when we going? :P

Love the underwater shots.

I have the same Olympus (I think based on the photo) and this has inspired me to try a lot more underwater shots!

Cheers mate.

Angus

Hi Angus,

You're welcomed!

I have the Olympus U1030SW... both shockproof and waterproof.

Yea, u and tobie10 should come on over and try fishing here. It's so much cheaper. Food's good too.

I've got enough rods here for you to use in case you decide...

Cheers!

Jonathan

tobie10 wrote:

Thanks free2rome2! I just looked at your profile and realized you're actually in Malaysia..haha. I've been to Malaysia (KL and Ipoh) a few times and have enjoyed it a lot, especially the food! I've always gone with people who grew up there which helps a lot, but yeah, can tell I shouldn't be just wandering around everywhere on my own. I'll send you a PM sometime if I get serious about going - to ask you a bit more details about the charter and area, etc.

Really great photos you took, makes me want to get one of those underwater cameras.

And Gus, yeah I'd love to catch some sail fish with yah!

Hi tobie10,

I actually live about 10 mins away from the Causeway leading to Singapore, in Johor Bahru.

JB is not like KL in any way, but we have our fair share of the shopping 'scene' in S'pore if we want any.

No Probs, just let me know if you want try out the majestic sails. The season is from March/Apr till probably early October, before the monsoon starts to kick in. Can get you the details when and if you're ready.

Get Gus to arrange something... :)

Dam if only i had known sooner, as im heading to kl sat week, I would have loved to do abit of fishing there.

free2rome2 wrote:

Hi tobie10,

No worries, if you're planning to come over, just let me know and we'll take good care of you and your mates.

Yeah, Malaysia can be quite unsafe, but i suppose it would be the same in almost any country that you go to (in one way or another), just have to know where to head on to... and avoid the grey areas.

Cheers!

robin wrote:

Dam if only i had known sooner, as im heading to kl sat week, I would have loved to do abit of fishing there.

free2rome2 wrote:

Hi tobie10,

Cheers!

No worries robin,

there's always another time...

Them fishes will still be here... :)

I was only saying to my Daughter yesterday that I was planning a week long trip fishing OS some where more tropical fiji etc but after the pics and report you posted There's only one spot to go to now :woohoo: :woohoo:

look out :)

March you say HMMMMM early birthday prezzie :P

Top report

cheers Gaz

robin wrote:

Robin there are some good fishing ponds over there mate so you could always consider that option? And it's not about catching goldfish or catfish either - barra, trevs, local species such as tomman... could be an option worth looking at?

Gazza wrote:

I was only saying to my Daughter yesterday that I was planning a week long trip fishing OS some where more tropical fiji etc but after the pics and report you posted There's only one spot to go to now :woohoo: :woohoo:

look out :)

March you say HMMMMM early birthday prezzie :P

Top report

cheers Gaz

Hi Gaz,

Yeah, March till probably early October, But around September is when they're all 'boiling'...

Starting March is best for Diamond trevallies, they're harding fighting and gives you a run on light tackle of 15lbs - 30lbs.

Ben Derecki wrote:

robin wrote:

Robin there are some good fishing ponds over there mate so you could always consider that option? And it's not about catching goldfish or catfish either - barra, trevs, local species such as tomman... could be an option worth looking at?

Hi Ben,

You seem to know quite a bit about Malaysian ponds and species...

Here, when we're either not fishing deep sea or when it's monsoon season, we have the luxury of pond fishing although we're most of the times at the mercy of the owner (whether they want to release more fishes or not)... :)

free2rome2 wrote:

Hi Ben,

Here, when we're either not fishing deep sea or when it's monsoon season, we have the luxury of pond fishing although we're most of the times at the mercy of the owner (whether they want to release more fishes or not)... :)

Yeah I did a fair bit of research on it earlier this year mate, flights to KL from Perth are deadly cheap so I thought about heading up there and trying some of the variety - didn't happen though, ended up heading up north WA and having plenty of fun there instead.

It was quite difficult to find reliable info on the ponds actually, there were a couple of websites which had some information on them but on the whole I found the best approach was just to search some of the local forums (fishing.net.my, fishingkaki etc) and see what I could find. I wasn't sure how to take that information and plan a trip though, some of the places look pretty tucked away and looked like I would need someone with some local knowledge to get me around.

Anyway looks like a fun place, I've read plenty about Rompin and it looks like a crazy place and the variety of fish available in the stocked ponds looks awesome too. Some of the deep water stuff around the islands to the north - north west of Malaysia looks insane too. If / when I head over there I reckon I'll be hitting up that place (can't remember the name of it at the moment).

Ben Derecki wrote:

free2rome2 wrote:

Hi Ben,

Yeah I did a fair bit of research on it earlier this year mate, flights to KL from Perth are deadly cheap so I thought about heading up there and trying some of the variety - didn't happen though, ended up heading up north WA and having plenty of fun there instead.

It was quite difficult to find reliable info on the ponds actually, there were a couple of websites which had some information on them but on the whole I found the best approach was just to search some of the local forums (fishing.net.my, fishingkaki etc) and see what I could find. I wasn't sure how to take that information and plan a trip though, some of the places look pretty tucked away and looked like I would need someone with some local knowledge to get me around.

Anyway looks like a fun place, I've read plenty about Rompin and it looks like a crazy place and the variety of fish available in the stocked ponds looks awesome too. Some of the deep water stuff around the islands to the north - north west of Malaysia looks insane too. If / when I head over there I reckon I'll be hitting up that place (can't remember the name of it at the moment).

There's quite a few spread out all across the country, both saltwater and freshwater. I would say the better of the lot would be Se Lion (salt), Tow foo (Fresh)... also, there's a lot of old mining pool left over from years back and now have become lakes and these are stocked with lots of haruan, toman, soon hock etc. all good fighting and eating fishes even peacock bass...

I think the area you're mentioning is Pulau Jarak, lots target GTs here... but one should not venture too far west cos of active Indonesian pirates still lurking around... For me, it's still safer to fish in the Eastern part.

BTW, we do have 'kelongs' as well. These are structures or platforms in the middle of the sea and have been used in the olden days by fishermen as a stopover and to get away from the monsoon. I did a short report some time back with pictures in 'Community' - 'Photos'... check it out.

Cheers mate!

Archived