Weipa Trip Nov 12th

Woodlaz

Gday all,

I am going to Weipa on the 12th of November for 10 days. I plan to bring back a fair amount of fillets/muddies but was wondering the best way to get them back to Brisbane. Should I just freeze em and chuck em in an esky to take on the plane, or would a cold storage frieght company be a better idea? The total flight time is about 4 hours including an hour stop at Cairns.

Have you guys had any issues bringing fish/crabs (the crustecean ones found/caught in water - not from a night out on the town :P) home with you on flights??? Any info would be appreciated..

Cheers

Woody

Mate I frequently bring fist back to Brisbane form Cairns,

The only problem is that some airlines don’t like seafood or ice on the planes as they may leak, they expect it individually packed and with dry ice not normal ice.

The best way I have found to get around this is to say its broccoli and they don't ask any questions.

Using an old Styrofoam esky also helps. :)

Just came back from Weipa about a month ago. Froze the fillets and packed them into a foam brocilli box, taped it up solid. No need for ice. Box must be marked as seafood and you have a weight limit also. Will be on the conditions for your ticket.

A spot that went off for us was along the shadow line at the bridge late at night. Dad got his 114cm barra there.

Enjoy

I was in weipa about 3 weeks ago, do yourself a favor and get out on Dave Donaldson sport fishing charters. We went to a spot south of Weipa and for hours I dont think trere was a moment when someone wasn't hooked up with some great fish caught.

• 1 month later...

i struck the same problem coming back from cairns. its not beacause of the leaking (dad worked on planes) its a form of club when frozen . so they crack b!tch fit when someone rocks up with a completely sealed container and they oh im sorry u are going to have to freight that over pain in the arse i think.

Archived