VHF Radio..Have your say.

ellicat

in my opinion its about time with the way some people use a radio is disgusting. i bet that less than half of boaties that operate these radios have certificates to do so. if radio users only could stop swearing and staying on the call channels to have a conversation with their mates

mark

the license is a waste of time.

People will use the VHF anyway with or without a license.

As a safety device its better to have 1 in an emergency than not, so if safety is a concern then why licence them.

The only way would be to make it a mandatory piece of equipment when offshore and have the licensing part of your boat license.

A license will not stop people using them to talk with mates and will never stop the swearing over them.

hmm yeh interesting stuff..... i've been thinking of getting a small one to take with me in the kayak when i go offshore....just to clue the coastguard in on my planned movements, etc... also contact nearby boaties if there's trouble (touch wood) , stuff like that.....

i have both radio's in my boat, i don't have a licence for a vhf, and will never apply for 1 unless i have absolutly got to! do nomads have to apply for a licence when travelling around the country side?? do truckies need to have to apply for a licence for a 2 way, what about the CB crew out there, then there are cabbies and could go on and on.we pay a small fortune for all safety gear, and if they think that most ppl will apply for a vhf licenece, they might have to have a rethink, sure if i get pulled up, they ask if i am licenced, i say no but the radio is there if there is an emergency. i use the vhf for what it was inted for, long range contact, and talking to shortie, from my house to his. hahahahaaha :laugh: . don't laugh. we have done it. :P

I found this on another site :huh:

but on a gov site the fine can be 175,000 or jail :woohoo:

this was written by a guy who does online coarse's

OK, I have to be a little careful here as I am going to end up giving a radio course online here bit by bit and I don't want to end up doing that as I am a very slow typist with very little time. This is probably going to be my last post on the subject as this has the potential to grow as one question leads to another.

Theoretically you need an operators license/certificate if you have a VHF on your boat. (Note the part "must be under the control of a qualified operator at all times" below).

Having said that I have never heard of anyone being prosecuted for having one on their boat. Nor have I ever heard of a non qualified person being prosecuted for using that radio in an emergency. When I was on roster, I used to ask the Water Police frequently what their personal opinion and likely policing outcome would be if used by non licensed operators in an emergency. In EACH and EVERY case the Police said that it would be counter productive to prosecute. They WANT people to call them, VMR's Coastguards whoever before a problem escalates. They have always said to me if used sensibly and that the user didn't complicate matters they would give him a pat on the back. Having said that, that is obviously the Officers choice.... You p him off and he may get you for anything. If the Gov tells them to start enforcing it they will enforce it. YOUR CALL, NOT MINE

I think there's some good points ;)

the fine was $220 just for having it on your boat :angry:

spose it depends on the Feds on the day :blink:

Cheers Gaz

one thing i have seen on boats i think is a good idea is a note stuck on the dash beside the radio with the procedure on how to call in a emergency. yes you might know but what if its because your introuble and cant use the radio you have to rely the deckies sorting it out, where when there first on board when you show them where the life jackets are you can say hey if something happens to me and is life threatening turn this dial and follow this note to call for help. doesnt hurt to show them how to bring up the GPS co -ords if you have one on board too. as for licensing well i think theres only going to be 2 diffrent opinions on that one i believe if your heading out off shore your mad not to have one .

the coarse for this license shows you how to use theses radios properly and to their best to save yourself and any crew that you take offshore .like using other boats to bounce your message on when you can't get a shore base radio for emergencies .or not clogging up call channels so others don't perish while trying to get an emergecy call away . i've done this coarse and in my opinion it should be added to the rec license

mark

I've done mine and found it useful and interesting. The fact I'm not on the water as regularly as I'd like means a lot of the correct protocols get forgotten unfortunately.

I did the course because I am honest (not stupid) Davo :P

Seems the ones calling the course a waste of time are those that haven't done it. :dry:

Ellicat its a waste of time because they take a full day, or 3 x 2 hour sessions to cover what could easily be covered in half an hour.The rest is unnecessary to operate a radio to save your sorry but. I've previously held a couple of different grades of Amateur radio licences as well, most of that is also unnecessary drivel.

YoYo I carry an Icom ICM33 hand held on the yak when I am on the salt. 5 watt unit, easily picks up all VMR's from Caloundra to Southport. I have tried the transmission range when out west, no problems 5k handheld to handheld whilst yakking on the river. I leave it turned on to get the hourly weather reports. Never use it to transmit. Its there for an emergency if I need it.

i was just talking about paying for a licence .

not the course it u don't know how to use it or use it properly a course is a great idea.

the stupid or honest paying for license is more from my 27 mhz ( CB) or uhf which is today's CB.it was the rules that u had to get a yearly license to used them.but only the honest or stupid did as there was 10 thousand people or more using them with out license and being yahoos and a pain in the ass.

now .

if i had a big boat and went out in the bay a fair way or off sure .i would definitely have a vhf and a license and do the course so i know how to use its the best way i can .

that's me

but there is a lot that have them that would use and abuse them like its a cb.

it would be a hard thing to police etc .

Archived