Sanctuary Cove Sat 3rd Oct

tomca

Arrived at the launch spot with Keen-as-fisho around 5 and Do$tylz was already on the water, yoyo was prepping and Rocket was not far behind. Trolled downstream and I picked up a legal bar-tail flattie and a small trev on a 50mm frenzy minnow. We looked at the sign on the canal, and it didn't say no entry so we went in for some bream.

The fish were showing me no love around the pontoons, so I started casting right up onto the rocks with a little sprog and a couple of casts later I had a visual take by a decent bream. When I got him yakside I reached out and at that moment the hhok pulled and sent a treble from a owner hook deep into my hand. Sometimes I wish I fished with barbless hooks. Got onto several more bream tight up in the rocks before Security decided he didn't like the look of Rocket and asked us to leave the canals.

I also caught a moses perch, just coz Gus wasn't there, someone had to get onto em :P

Boat traffic on the Coomera was pretty horrendous so I had a fish up Oakey Creek for 2 more flathead and then fought the current and gale force headwind back to the launch spot.

IMGP0385.jpg

What an interesting morning....

Started off nicely with a decent whiting in quick time, taken on the surface with e Bretto Edition Sammy65.... greedy little bugger... :blush:

Nothing on the troll upto the canals, then not much love in the canals until a reasonable catty took a prawn tail...

Right after that I saw a 4 foot bullshark leap well clear of the water with a big mullet in it's mouth about 10m away from me ! :unsure:

Saw a bit of surface action across near some big moored boats,figured it for some Trevs, headed over and flicked a Megabass Smolt-X into it and got hit, dropped...and then belted... took off fast and then went to the air - Barra!! My thoughts immediately went to my poor 6lb leader...... :huh:

1, 2, 3 jumps...almost home...reaching around for the net, 4th jump and snap....gone... :(

I think i woke up a few in the surrounding houses with my FAAAAAAARRRRRRKKKK! :laugh:

Tied on an SX40 in a matte colour, a boil behind me so flicked it straight in there, two quick twitches and the surface explodes and it's game on again....

One jump then hits the turbo, SUPER fast run......SNAP........ :blink::(

I almost cried.........

Then the first one proceeded to jump clear doing head shakes around me every few minutes for the next 20 minutes, with my Megabass rattling in the corner if it's mouth every time..... :angry: Excrutiating..... he was mocking me........

Went quiet after that, headed around to another little canal and got onto a few bream and a decent flattie.... was going to keep it but put it back as an offering to the local barra gods to maybe give me my lure (with fish attached) back tomorrow or next week.......

and oh yeh.....are those wakeboarders tools or what.....? :dry:

Absolutely, both were Barra.... the first one was prob about 60cm and i reckon the 2nd one was a bit bigger, didnt get as good a look at him but he pulled much harder than the first...

They looked to have adapted to their environment slightly with a bit more of a darker tone to their topside than 'usual'......

'm seriously thinking about heading back there tomorrow to see if I can stir them up again..

was a lovely morning to be out yaking.

thanks for the company and advice fellas.

it was my first outing on my new (2nd hand) yak.

found some teething problems in set up that I can tinker with, and need a small repair to my mirage drive.

learnt some important lessons by experience...

-if you forget to tighten the bung inder your seat, you get a very wet bum.

-clutter and kayaks is a bad combination

-landing nets with wooden handles don't float :(

On a positive note I did manage to catch my first fish from my yak! my first victim was an average bream caught trolling a river2sea static shad 60.

The security guard who gave us our marching orders was kind enough to give me a handout stating the legal reasons for our expulsion...I will post a copy in another thread in an effort to find if it is against the law for us to be there, or just against the estates policies. Know any lawyers? ;)

I limped back to the ramp early after mirage drive problems left me peddaling on one fin, so I missed the barra action...would have been impressive indeed.

Looking forward to my next yak mission now!

Any one know what canals are actually legally accessible?

rocket :(

I expected that we'd get kicked out of there Rocket. Most of the other canals around the goldy are not out of bounds, and I've never had issue at Pelican Waters up the coast or newport at Scarborough either. Plenty of other places to go. I hope it wasn't that awesome net you lost? :laugh:

What I've heard is that most are private, and there are usually the yellow cones indicating this. This is the reason why: When the developers buy the land, it is their's (just as any other land is the property of the owners), so, when they dig the canals, even though there is now water on top of their land, it is still theirs and thus is private property and you have to abide by their rules. They can't 'own' any part of the natural course of the river, but the canals are theirs.

I still think this is bullsh*t, but eh... what are you gonna do?

yep... my 2 cents (a bit late). Got to the water at 4:45am... nice and flat and I was keen to get a bream on the surface. chucked a px-45 around the houseboats and got a couple of little hits here and there. Had 1 serious hit on it but it didn't hook up... it just knocked the lure about a foot outta the water.

Paddled around with Tomca, rocket and Keen-as-fisho.. lost yoyo when we entered sanctuary cove... was sight casting for bream but couldn't get the hook up... got hit heaps but they just weren't hitting the plastics properly.... probably should have tried a hard body as they kept hitting the tails on the plastic.

on the troll back out I got a good run on a trolled switchblade.... saw 1 big jump and it was a tarpon... headshake and gone. I guess I probably should have struck when I picked up my rod from my ghetto holders.

Other than that a few small whiting... that was it.... fail from me on this trip.

yoyo wrote:

No matter what, you'll always get some fishing time in before they might ask you to move on.

Put it this way, all they're going to do is ask you to leave, no further ramifications....

really what are they gonna do other than ask you to leave? jump in the water and swim after you? lmao security......wankers but if there cool about it no great loss

Do$tylz wrote:

hahaha... yeah I have the drag right down when I use them... maybe I should invest in some rod leashes...

hey do styles. make your own bungee leashes. u can buy bungee cord and stainless clips. easy and cheaper than buying a rod leash. well rod leashes here run about 30 dollars. i made 4 rod leashes for than amount.

apoklyps60 wrote:

Do$tylz wrote:
hahaha... yeah I have the drag right down when I use them... maybe I should invest in some rod leashes...

hey do styles. make your own bungee leashes. u can buy bungee cord and stainless clips. easy and cheaper than buying a rod leash. well rod leashes here run about 30 dollars. i made 4 rod leashes for than amount.

Remind me when you come to pick up your boat :P , we have the gear to make them here.

Archived