Cast net buyers beware

Hey all

sorry to flood the tackle section with my scribbles, but I have an issue that I

think might be well worth passing on.

Simple - castnet = Nylon = Do not buy

Castnet = mono = buy

I bought a "Nylon" labeled castnet thinking it was mono.

In truth it is one of those that look and feel like cotton.

I am very dissapointed with it, after the water has soaked into it , it is like casting 6 wet towels, and many casts end up bogus and tangled because of the fatiuge of casting the weight all the time, not to mention the water that it holds and much of it runs out onto you.

read the labels carefully and don't get burnt.

cheers

tomca wrote:

I've got an old nylon one that casts great. My new mono one, I can't cast it properly. It is lighter, yes, but a bit of hard yakka never killed anyone

I mean really mate, are you kidding?

maybe your nylon one is different, but how can somthing be good to cast when it fills with 10 litres of water?

I would not recommend these to anyone, they also sink a lot slower.

cheers

I have an 11' nylon cast net (was given it)and I wouldn't say i'm a master of casting the damned thing, but the biggest issue, underpinning the comments above, is that the net does hold a heap of water and typically this ends up in the boat. And yep the shoulders get a tad tired if the bait is elusive. The other thing Ive noticed is that when its wet its more likely to tangle which means a bit more time between casts.

Hey guys,

I'm soon going to buy a cast-net (I'm looking for mono, about 8-9 ft). Is there much to look out for in terms of brands etc? Or are they generally standard across the different retailers? I'm in Taringa area so usually have to trek a ways to a fishing outlet. Any tips would be ace

I just bought a 7 foot sure catch brand mono cast net from BCF to use up some voucher credit. Being a novice myself I chose the smaller size to start off with. It took me about 12 throws to get the hang of it and isn't too heavy to handle. It's the 3/4 inch net one ... figured the smaller the holes the more I'd catch :)

So far I have no complaint with it. It sinks real quick and doesn't seem to tangle all that easily.

Archived