Big cod on the news

fishing_hardcore

Anyone see that big cod on the news , was pushing 2 meters long.

Gutted and hung, I found it pretty sad and ignorent.

I have come from a country town when working at the local butchers it was not unusual

for the butcher to have a local fish in the freezer at 70lb, ready for the bandsaw, cod steaks.

But these days I was shocked that somone would fish these huge fish and kill one of that size.

cheers

Mack_attack wrote:

It's also illegal as its either a QLD grouper or an estuary cod that's well over the max size limit of 120cm.

Maybe uglyfish can do something about this....

I didnt see this on the news,would like to know more about it tho.Not much i can do about it but i will have a talk to sheildsy about it at pinkinbah

the guy is a total wanker him and his stupid bogan misses where interviewed about it , you could see the way the fish was preserved after being caught was not fit to be consumed and when asked by the journo what his plans for the fish where he shrugged and said better have a big bbq i guess. why the fuck would you kill a fish like that just so you can be yesterdays hero for 15secs on the news. i hope the fisheries take his boat the whole friggen lot and slap him with some time or a fine that will level him.

this might be something to think about!!!

1. how the bloody hell did the channel nine news crew get hold of this in the first place... hmmm.

some 1 obviously was making phone calls like crazy.

i can only imagine the sort of death this fish had with those wombles.

well done you stupid pharrr kennnnnn clown! and i am a bit pissed at channel 9 for even allowing it to be aired. as this sort of advertising seems to make it ok to target these creatures.

god knows only how old this cod was, but i guarantee he would have been up there.

i agree with kriso, this bloody idiot and every 1 involved should loose most of what they own, as any 1 who knows the rules, will know that they are all of equal guilt, and should know better. than to kill 1 of these fish.!

yeah its pissed me off when his slack jaw misses said it took half and hour to drag it on board. would swing them around from there mouth/ head for half an hour and see how they come out from that. these knobs should be wiped out so the genepool doesnt extend any further.

Davo_Dinkum wrote:

>http://www.qt.com.au/story/2009/10/05/giant-fish-Lockyer-Steve/

only story i could find ,is this the 1 ?

thats such a waste

shame shame shame

Pretty sure that's the one. Only saw a snippet of it on the news and was shocked the way channel 9 was promoting it as "The catch of the century!".

Glorifying something as senseless and as wasteful as something like this should carry some sort of liability for channel 9. Now how many toothless mouth breathers, yet to evolve thumbs are going to go out and hit the reefs to "top" this "catch"?

Makes me sick that such a magnificent creature as this was needlessly killed. :angry:

yes, what a horrible way for the media to depict one of the seas greatest animals.

It really makes you wonder how educated some of these media people are?

An interesting point about cod is that they support a whole ecosystem of fish and other sea life, because they are such territorial animals a whole underwater ecosystm builds up around them in the environment they create.

They actually support a lot of sea life in this way.

No doubt the removal of this fish would have destroyed that natural ecosystem = less fish in the area.

surley he could of taken some other fish for a feed.

Poor lessons from the media

cheers

Sorry guys but my point of view is a little different.

1.If its legal to take species and size wise i dont have a problem with him keeping it. (Even though i would not.) You cant crucify someone if it not illegal.

2. After a 2.5 hour fight would it of survived anyway. If it did survive would predators of eaten it due to fatigue anyway

3. What depth of water was it caught in. Would it of survived barrotrauma.

4. He obviously wasnt targetting a fish of that species and size. If he was then i can understand some peoples reactions. But you cant crucify someone on a lucky catch.

5. And about bragging about a great catch like that. Everyone would brag and you know it.

yes i would certainly tell every one i knew about catching that fish, i would have pic though of it in the water beside the boat. i am trying to find the report with the actual length of the fish as im pretty certain it was infact over size limits. Would be good if Kreels muesuem friend could give an opinion of species because it does look suspicously like a groper to me.

elops wrote:

The fish IS a QLD groper totally protected.

All Epinephelus species you are likely to catch have a maximum size limit of 1.2 meters and must be immediately returned to the water as per the legislation.

Regs Steve.

after looking at this pic i would have to agree. qld_groper.jpg

From the picture taken it is near impossible to determine the exact species. The only cod that have max size are goldspot, blackspot, greasy, flowery and camoflague. Check the dpi website if you don't believe me. It is not any of these.

It does look like a qld groper but it is impossible to be sure. If it is I hope his chickens turn into emus and kick his dunny door down. I am sure after the publicity he has received the EPA or dpi people will investigate and confirm the species for sure. He could well be perfectly entitled to take it... Doesn't stop him being a d!ckhead and a bogan and stuff like that but it makes it a legal bogan act. Would I have kept it? No. Unless it wouldn't swim away at all and came up stone motherless dead.

Anyway, if it is a legal take... Has he cut the pectoral fin??? :P

benno573 wrote:

From the picture taken it is near impossible to determine the exact species. The only cod that have max size are goldspot, blackspot, greasy, flowery and camoflague. Check the dpi website if you don't believe me. It is not any of these.

It does look like a qld groper but it is impossible to be sure. If it is I hope his chickens turn into emus and kick his dunny door down. I am sure after the publicity he has received the EPA or dpi people will investigate and confirm the species for sure. He could well be perfectly entitled to take it... Doesn't stop him being a d!ckhead and a bogan and stuff like that but it makes it a legal bogan act. Would I have kept it? No. Unless it wouldn't swim away at all and came up stone motherless dead.

Anyway, if it is a legal take... Has he cut the pectoral fin??? :P

There is no size limit because they are a "no take" species, doubt there are any other species that grow to that size.

Compare the pics, dorsal, pectoral, proportions even the spike on the gills is the same.

cheers

dano_mung wrote:

:silly: GROPER! :silly:

Not Grouper.

Think being "groped" :P , not "grouped" together ;) , as they are solitary highly territorial fish.

Beautiful fish, why would you even try to get it on board? :angry::angry:

mmmm i was confused on the spelling myself as DPI list it as "grouper" and not "groper" mmmm strange one.

noname wrote:

this might be something to think about!!!

1. how the bloody hell did the channel nine news crew get hold of this in the first place... hmmm.

some 1 obviously was making phone calls like crazy.

i can only imagine the sort of death this fish had with those wombles.

well done you stupid pharrr kennnnnn clown! and i am a bit pissed at channel 9 for even allowing it to be aired. as this sort of advertising seems to make it ok to target these creatures.

god knows only how old this cod was, but i guarantee he would have been up there.

i agree with kriso, this bloody idiot and every 1 involved should loose most of what they own, as any 1 who knows the rules, will know that they are all of equal guilt, and should know better. than to kill 1 of these fish.!

Here here! Seriously, what a knob! Even if it is legal, he's a knob. And I hope that the DPI follow him up.

That is most definitely a QLD Groper. Saw it on the news and my immediate reaction was "that's no Cod!"

Disgraceful....

How far off the coast was it caught though ? If it's not in australian waters, our limits/regulations dont apply, do they ?

yoyo wrote:

That is most definitely a QLD Groper. Saw it on the news and my immediate reaction was "that's no Cod!"

Disgraceful....

How far off the coast was it caught though ? If it's not in australian waters, our limits/regulations dont apply, do they ?

mate he was with his wife and iam sure they said 25km offshore

what are they going to do with 100kg of fish it would probably get freezer burn before they even got to eat it all.The sadest part of it all I reckon is that the fish was probably older than all of them put together. I know he cant help that the fish took his bait but why did he keep it and why has it been put to the puplic eye by the media.

I would seriously like to think that this sort of culling does not still exist but obviously it does and to make matters worse being rewarded for it by being put in the media spot light as some sort of heroic fisherman.

Mick fillet

Archived