how long can i freeze crabs for?

rumrunner

hi people

i got a fair few swimmers the other day and cant eat them all, so i am now wondering if i can freeze them and if so how long for?

also should they be peeled or whole?

all tips and myths will be appriciated!

i know some people are very biast about this subject so take it ezy (theres more then 50 ways to skin a cat!) :P

i got called a big f head by a mate last nite who said they cant be frozen!!! :blink:

cheers Ian.

My uncle lives up at Gordonvale.

Keeps a chest frezzer just for freezing his summer catches.

Cooks and keeps them whole, drain them and place in their own container.

He uses 2lt icecream containers.

Stacked up in that freezer he has them all year round.

They defrost pretty easily on their own, and are reay to go in 1-2 hrs.

freeze them raw, and cook them when you want, they go all crap if theyre frozen after cooking.... thats why you get the ones off the street vans that are all powdery.... frozen after theyve been cooked, i froze afew the other day rew and cooked them on sunday.... yummo :woohoo:

Ate some sandies the other day that my bro-in-law gave me. Had been frozen whole and cooked before frozen about a month ago. Nothing beats fresh, but they were still great. In Canada we bought some of those giant claws from the snow crabs (frozen) - tasted ok but nowhere near the fresh sandies and muddies here.

i would say bout 85% of crab meat sold in the fish shops around brizzy and the gold coast would have been frozen,it lasts for bout 3 months as crab meat,if crabs are frozen green the meat will stick to the shell and make it harder to peel....have only ever frozen whole cooked crabs once before and have and this was only the other day so havnt tryed them yet...

cheers rosco

Feral wrote:

rumrunner wrote:

i like the idea of freezing them uncooked! sounds logical to me.

thanks again ;)

cheers Ian

Yeah, I reckon you would definitely want to clean them first though. Less risk of em turning crook on ya when defrosting to cook.

yeah good call, but they nexer last longer than a week or two around me :laugh:

Freeze crabs blasphemy :P

As for take what you can eat

Unless you can show me a spot or a way of getting a feed every time I go out :P BAH HUMBUG to which I might add could those who condone taking more than one feed give me good weather conditions and a guaranty my pots won't be raided every time I set pots ?

I'll Legally take my Quoter but have never been close :woohoo:

I'll eat crab for a week just cooked and into the fridge np ;)

ppl seem to forget

what comes around goes around

Friends ,neighbors etc who don't fish or don't have a boat no idea on how to catch one :woohoo:

love it if you give them a feed every now and then so what's the big deal It's not as it happens every day

wish it would

Gaz :woohoo:

hey gazza,will give ya a few spots for sandies if ya want them,pretty sure u will get a good feed from now till may no probs at all....like you said mate its always good to give family and friends a feed every now and then,my rellies love the buggers and my son loves catchen them so it great to see the smiles on there face either catchin them or giving them away

cheers rosco

Archived