Gold Coast land locked lakes...

chris_stewart14

the one at the coomera closer to upper coomera you can put paddle power in! , mick fillet and i many years ago dragged the old lil boat with 3.5hp and had a muck around in there! i would say yes to any along the coomera! i dont think many people have tried it ! i cant see any one having a problem with doing it ! not like your dropping a monster speed boat in and tearing around lol

go down 19th ave palm beach until you come to a shopping centre on your left hand side near a roundabout, go straight through roundabout and 20m on your left is a park with a drain flowing into the lake. and for anyone doubting big jacks live in their just fish with live silver biddies long enough and often enough and you will catch them to 8kg too.

dont doubt what the man is saying guys. i've fished 19th ave since they dug it

fingerlings and baitfish get sucked in and cant get back out

i've been down the rockwall infront of the inlet there on scuba gear very impressive jacks in those rocks

i've caught bream, whiting,monster flathead, heap of big eye and gts to 7 kg

jew to 30lb,tailor over 5kg, queenies,spotty macs,barracuda,giant herring, moses perch and hooked plenty of but never landed a jack in there.trying to drag them up the rock face they want to dive into is heartbreaking

over the years i've found unweighted small herring 50mm or less the best bait

big run in tides early mornings in summer

thats true jeff. some seriously huge fish get caught in there. yrs ago giant herring to 8kg and gts to 28kg have come from this lake. and the biggest jack i have seen with my own eyes is 11kg. caught on a huge siver biddie. even bream around a kilo get eaten. my mate lives on this lake and has caught fish frm here that most people think your bullshitting.. but the truth is there, fish it long enough and often enough and you will catch them too. i have fished this lake for many many yrs with mates

sammy65 wrote:

yrs ago giant herring to 8kg and gts to 28kg have come from this lake. and the biggest jack i have seen with my own eyes is 11kg. caught on a huge siver biddie. even bream around a kilo get eaten.

i was fishing there yesterday using a 2kg bream as a livey. landed a 37kg GT... went alright

• 3 weeks later...

To be serious 19th contains a resident population of large bream, very educated and a challenge to catch on lures.

There are literaly dozens of similar lakes on the gold coast well worth exploring in a kayak all have six knot limits, and only the odd boat some no boats at all and many species of fish.

It is a great thing to do on weekends to avoid the crowds.

Regs Steve

True elops. I was (really) down at 19th ave lagoon on saturday morning and was the only boat on the water. There were a few punters trying to fish LB on the incoming midday High, but they weren't getting much.

Didnt get any 36's this time but got a solid 34 and about 8 other bream in the session. The smallest bream i have caught at this spot is 28cm.

Like elops said, they simply will not take lures ! It was driving me mental...

Stupid thing was, i would flick a piece of unweighted chicken thigh into the shallows and they would start slamming it as soon as it hit the water! but do the same thing with a lure and...nothing....

There is a codger in a house down the far end that insists on taking photos of me in the yak when i get down his way, either he has the hots for me or he is gathering evidence for a submission to council or similar i think...

Thing is, he would have no idea if i lived in any of the surrounding houses or not, as some quite clearly have kayaks in their yards, plus of course it's a public waterway and i'm allowed to be there....

I was disappointed to not catch another species there though, threw out some bigger baits hoping for a big flattie and also cast around a few slugs but nuthin'.....

i dont think line visibility is the prob elops, one of the bait rods that was getting hit regularly had some 17lb Vanish leader on it (vain hope for a big flattie or jack!)

Other bait rod had 10lb vanish and got hit, lure rod had 6lb vanish and no dice..........

Archived