thinking baitcaster

Tiny Tin

so here i am a definite fan of the spinning reel thinking about getting a baitcaster to go with a as yet unbuilt rod (nudge nudge marty ;) ). pretty sure i'll be going for a egrel or very similar as i like the range..3 - 10kgs which means it should supply the subtleness in the tip yet give a bit of grunt when required. i'll be targeting bay snaps..threadies and hopefully the odd jack (haven't chased em in years). i'm going a bit light for some of these fish but that's the way i like to fish and rarely catch anything over 7 kgs ( i wish lately) anyway..so 10kgs/20lb should be plenty. so what would be the best baitcaster to accompany this? i read an earlier thread and curado's i think were touted but there was little info other than the kgs of drag? i used baitcaster years ago bass fishing..did the wrong thing and bought a cheap as abu..hopeless put me off em for life lol. had to heaps of weight on the line to cast properly and still got heaps of overruns..knots..jams..nightmare :side: . so what should i be looking for..line i'd use between 15 and 20lb braid..rod 3-10 kgs and throwing a few SPs..gulps..prongs..the odd tranzam and probably runa few live baits from it from time to time. i generally load up my reels fully with braid..a little mono backing so would look to have around 300m of line full loaded. casting distance i reckon up to about 30m..? oh yeah i'm also left handed..well not really but that's how i wind in..rod in the right and the reel on the left..so i guess a left handed reel would be preferable but not essential if the other benefits warrant swapping hands after casting. i'd appreciate anyone's input..even on my choice of rod/combo..if you think i really need to go heavier and could if keeping the same sensitivity and versatility that this combo offers...oh yeah spending around 300 bucks for the reel..cheers guys :)

lol dan..i was quicker than the mail..hey so far i've got three reels to check out..curado or scorpion..a revo sx and a calcutta. i'm popping off to the shop to check a few out..guess wot..finished work early..no grass to cut..need some rain :) it's my birthday next week so better get down the shop before i get vouchers for myers! that actually happened to me ..once..lol :) not much fishing gear in myers eh? :laugh: i'll be bach...

don't forget daiwa, they have some great b/c reels. upgrade the drag when it gets a bit meh and you have a reel that is totally capable of smashing things.

the luna is meant to be better than the calcutta b, but not the te. obviously cos you pay a lot more for the te...

budget is gonna be where you really define what you can get.

i have to ask, do you need 300m of line?

HookedOnTackle wrote:

don't forget daiwa, they have some great b/c reels. upgrade the drag when it gets a bit meh and you have a reel that is totally capable of smashing things.

the luna is meant to be better than the calcutta b, but not the te. obviously cos you pay a lot more for the te...

budget is gonna be where you really define what you can get.

i have to ask, do you need 300m of line?

hi mate..i doubt that i need 300m of line..nadders has asked me the same question..i've just always loaded up my reels with what i use. i've got some braid on an overhead i used offshore (which is probably where i get the 'feeling' i need heaps of line from)that i've had for years it's still good. also if i lose a bit i have heaps in reserve. i guess this principal doesn't apply to bait-casting as it'll effect the casting ability..which it doesn't off shore no need to. i'm going to rethink the amount of line i use..especially for river fishing. i guess the deepest water would be 30m? average around 10-15 for the fish i'm chasing..rather than 70-100m offshore..thanks for your input.. :)

no worries Tiny Tin

it's only when i realised how far a hundred meters is, let alone three hundred, that i started getting two reels full of line from the one 300m purchase of line. That and a truly arsy mate who has caught legal school macks on 4-6lb on 2500 spin reels... He puts the tv pros to shame with what they need!

I got 300m of 20lb braid on my calcutta 400 with heaps more room to spare(guessing thats bigger then an average size baitcaster) i reckon the 200 would still hold a good amount of line, probably not 300m but perhaps close to it, Its my personally taste to have more then a 100-150m of line, remember everytime you get busted off or tie a new not your lossing braid, especially if you double the braid over when you tie your knots....but everyone is different, and i guess you gotta take into account what and where you're fishing, but you do get a few surprises when fishing i would hate to hook something big only for it to peel off with $50 with of braid and leaving me with a reel i cant use for the day. :P (im sure it happens to someone)

ok back from the shop i had a look at a few reels and was leaning towards a calcutta 201b..guy in the shop had me thinking this was a good way to go..marty seems to like it too. here's the specs on it..think it retails for around $300?

Left Hand Model

A-RB Bearings 3+1

One-Peice Aluminium Frame

Super Stopper

Superier Drag System

Variable Break System VBS

Quickfire II

Aluminium Spool

Dartanium Drag

Max Drag 5kg (note the drag dan)

Gear Ratio 6.0:1

Line Capacity 4kg-210m

Weight 286g

just as well i was considering the thoughts passed on from you guys about line capacity. i think this model will take on around 200m of 15-20lb braid max. i checked out the S10 too..hate the rod the way it's built but like the action and versitility of the blank..i reckon this little ol reel would look lost on the big fat cork grips. have to get marty to knock one out for me..tho egrel wont sell the blanks to ya..boo :blink::)

HookedOnTackle wrote:

no worries Tiny Tin

it's only when i realised how far a hundred meters is, let alone three hundred, that i started getting two reels full of line from the one 300m purchase of line. That and a truly arsy mate who has caught legal school macks on 4-6lb on 2500 spin reels... He puts the tv pros to shame with what they need!

that's not a bad sized line for the bay..in braid. it's the structure that makes me up my line..i got taught to fish for bites (god or bad i dunno) when i started. so went light as and made adjustments to suit. it's why i like longer rods as they act like a shocky so you can use lighter lines and get more bites..that's when the fun starts :) it's surprising what you can catch on light gear..cheers mate

nadders wrote:

deepest water around 18, average around 5-10 :D

should be alright then sounds like fishing the bay..but with a little more current :) might be heading up the river soon..i might even try that jewie spot i told ya about..few years late getting there :P just hope i don't get hit in the noggin by those gateway workers throwin their bollards about.. :silly:

i guess it depends what you're throwing with the reel john, what lures, plastics, weight of jigheads etc are you planning on using?

a 200 calcutta won't do an excellent job of throwing light lures, scorpion will do much much better job of this. calcuttas are a bit more bulletproof and have a lower ratio with more straight cranking power

if you'll be throwing light lures and throwing them all day i honestly think a 200 calcutta will do your head in eventually, you'll have a heaps better time with a scorpion :D but if you're throwing heavier lures or spending more time livebaiting, the calcutta will do that fine and with a little more direct cranking power if you need to skulldrag

You right nadders about casting a calcutta all day, it'll be tough work in our boat especially as we've got the canopy back up, we're normally lazy fishermen haha even when we use plastics we just drift with em :laugh: although it works, its different then chuckin em at a structure all day.

what weight jig head would he be able to use with a calcutta 200?? 1/4oz at lightest?

well marty you'd be able to cast a 1/4th but not too comfortably, and a low profile with more suitable spool will do a better job, send it further with less overrun issues

calcuttas are a great reel but especially over the 100 size they are not designed to cast light rigs

did you check the drag on the calcutta?

it's like driving the roads in the slums of calcutta.... *pause, wait for laughs to die down*

it is really chunky, if you do go the calcutta, upgrade the drag straight away. prolly cost you about thirty bucks and is worth it.

you can get at least 200m of a good japanese braid in 20lb on a low profile. casting is easier, lighter, you can still get 5kg of drag... i am a huge fan of them obviously, but the gear people are catching threadies, jacks and snaps on lures is definately low profile territory in my opinion.

HookedOnTackle wrote:

it's like driving the roads in the slums of calcutta.... *pause, wait for laughs to die down*

it is really chunky, if you do go the calcutta, upgrade the drag straight away. prolly cost you about thirty bucks and is worth it.

you can get at least 200m of a good japanese braid in 20lb on a low profile. casting is easier, lighter, you can still get 5kg of drag... i am a huge fan of them obviously, but the gear people are catching threadies, jacks and snaps on lures is definately low profile territory in my opinion.

do they use a high ratio reel for that or do they use a low ratio reel? threadies and jacks that is.

nadders wrote:

well marty you'd be able to cast a 1/4th but not too comfortably, and a low profile with more suitable spool will do a better job, send it further with less overrun issues

calcuttas are a great reel but especially over the 100 size they are not designed to cast light rigs

in the bay i usually use 1/4 or 3/8 up to 12 metres of water..i've been using 1/6 and 1/8 off the bank but using lighter gear 2-4 and 3-5kgs. i've been using prongs..tranzams..gulps from 3-5 inch and blades on my nitro 6-8kg with a twinpower 5000. from my experience( which isn't much) i can't get 1/16 to 1/8ths down the water column quick enough to combat drift..in the river it would be worse. unless we only drift on flat tide which is what we do in the bay but again if there's little wind. on tuesday we went out and i threw a 4 inch prong in and got a massive fish..no fight all weight. then it started swimming kicked into first..tug tug and it was see ya later baby..hard to tell but seemed like a big cod..snapped the 10 pound leader like cotton. i'm not sure but it seems to me if i'm using twenty pound braid not much point in chucking a 1/16 jig around in 10m of water.. i guess i'm using the big fish principal of big bait big fish. to be totally honest i dunno how anyone fishes 1/16 in anything over 3m (i'm sure they do)..maybe with an electric and throwing up current in slow water or on a dam? as you know i'm not overly competent with SPs but i'm assuming (dangerous) that you'd target threadies like snaps with decent sized lures in some decent water. you can educate me a bit further if ya like..i need the help :P i'm heading towards baitcasters so i can control the terminal end a bit better..it's difficult keeping in touch with a spinning outfit in certain conditions..even if it's driting a lightly weighted SP down a berly trail..then giving a bit of line to tempt a crushing bite..lol i wish :)

apoklyps60 wrote:

that reel is built like a tank tiny tin. should be able to bring up monsters. also if your looking to upgrade your drag you can go to this website. its in the US. it will significantly improve your drag performance. hope it helps

/>http://biggreenfish.com/drag_upgrades.htm

kewl man i'll put that somewhere safe good to know

cheers

HookedOnTackle wrote:

you can get at least 200m of a good japanese braid in 20lb on a low profile. casting is easier, lighter, you can still get 5kg of drag... i am a huge fan of them obviously, but the gear people are catching threadies, jacks and snaps on lures is definitely low profile territory in my opinion.

i asked the guy in the shop about curado v calcutta he said there isn't much in it..? i know nadders likes low profile baitcasters too..hmm i think i prefer your opinions. what about using the low profile in the bay? i'm thinking i don't want to go light on the reel if i'm using a heavy rod (well heavy to me). i'm thinking what sized lures i'm thinking of throwing are probably too heavy (1/4 or 3/8)..just popped onto the egrell site and the S10 throws 1/16 to 3/4oz rod line rate range is 3kg-10kg..hmm looks like i might have to change me mind.. :huh::)

im not sure what your experience is with calcuttas hookedontackle but i've owned 3, a 100b, 200b and 100TE DC, none of them have a clunky drag at all, standard shimano BC drag system is very good

im not too fussed either way john, my main thready setup since ive been chasing them has been a calcutta 100, recently upgraded to a calcutta te 100DC. it really all depends how much casting you will use the reel for, if you are just drift fishing the bay then you wont do nearly as much casting as i do constantly cast and retrieving at structure. a 200 calcutta might be the perfect thing for you if you're after a ballsy reel with high cranking power that you won't be constantly casting with, however if you're buying it mainly for lurefishing threadies you'll find a smaller round or lowprofile reel more comfortable.

i'd have no issues using the scorpion in the bay, in fact i'd argue that the open water situation would suit a low profile even moreso than heavy structure where straight winching might be the order of the day.. but i'm not experienced at all in fishing the bay so your opinion on that might be different.

apokalyps, lower ratio for jacks higher ratio for threadies generally, jacks aren't that fast but pull really hard and live in dirty places so you gotta winch em out most of the time, whereas threadies are fast fish that you don't try to direct winch up so a slightly higher ratio is more in your favour, not all that important though in my experience

HookedOnTackle wrote:

Apoklypso, i would say they try to use lower gearing for better cranking power, but a good drag would be more important. a lot of what i hear is people catching them on spin gear too, so they find it hard to use thumbs to slow the spool/add drag.

name is vin bro. nice to meet you. also the abu garcia winch i have has a 5.4:1 ratio. with a tested 24lbs(10.9k) of drag. low profile 175/of 12lb test.

here is the review of my reel.(reason i got it)

/>http://www.tackletour.com/reviewabugarciarevowinch.html

nadders wrote:

im not sure what your experience is with calcuttas hookedontackle but i've owned 3, a 100b, 200b and 100TE DC, none of them have a clunky drag at all, standard shimano BC drag system is very good

im not too fussed either way john, my main thready setup since ive been chasing them has been a calcutta 100, recently upgraded to a calcutta te 100DC. it really all depends how much casting you will use the reel for, if you are just drift fishing the bay then you wont do nearly as much casting as i do constantly cast and retrieving at structure. a 200 calcutta might be the perfect thing for you if you're after a ballsy reel with high cranking power that you won't be constantly casting with, however if you're buying it mainly for lurefishing threadies you'll find a smaller round or lowprofile reel more comfortable.

i'd have no issues using the scorpion in the bay, in fact i'd argue that the open water situation would suit a low profile even moreso than heavy structure where straight winching might be the order of the day.. but i'm not experienced at all in fishing the bay so your opinion on that might be different.

apokalyps, lower ratio for jacks higher ratio for threadies generally, jacks aren't that fast but pull really hard and live in dirty places so you gotta winch em out most of the time, whereas threadies are fast fish that you don't try to direct winch up so a slightly higher ratio is more in your favour, not all that important though in my experience

in all honesty most of the time i let the rod and my drag do the work. all my reels are mostly a 6.4:1 ratio but i recently acquired a revo winch with a 5.4:1 ratio and a slightly deeper spool. but even with the higher line capacity ive found it is the same exact size as my revo sx. my sx has a line cap of 145/12 while the winch is 175/12. which is significant when loaded with braid. i use a 15lb braid and its rated diameter is 0.12 mm which is thinner than the 8lb copolymer(comparable to most 4lb monofilaments) i use. it is super thin. i can easily load 225-250 yards of this braid on it. thanx for the info nadders.

vin

boy there's a bit to think about when ya start mullin thru reels eh? so still thinking of calcutta vs curado..re the curado it's the 200e1 or the 300e1;

specs;

CU201E7 Left 7.0:1 drag 5 line cap..4/165, 5/142, 6/101 6 1 215

CU301E Left 6.2:1 drag 7 line cap..5/219, 6/174, 9/110 6 1 298

checked out your rell too vin..pretty impressive..oh my head :P

Nadders, i had a play with the two calcutta's at Jones's Tackle. tightened the drag up and pulled the spool backwards with my thumb. the b was soooo much more lumpy than the TE.

Vin, i had a look at the tackle tour review, but they never seem to really harsh any gear or push it to it's limits. So i use that site as a very basic idea or check the editors choice winners.

well, theres alot of variables in your test on the cuttas there lol, my 100/200b have no drag issues whatsoever, caught plenty of line burners too and have always respected the drag.

john, if you want to play with my scorpion let me know. its basically a curado 200E, right hand wind version though....

tiny tin- lol if ur lookin for capacity id go the 300 e still low profile enough to palm it. and i know im a tackle whore thats why i love lookin at reels.

hooked- then im glad i got the winch it won editors choice. and i would beg to differ on the pushin them to their limits. with 24lbs of drag its hard to do that. they do go coastal fishin for ling cod which can get quite big. and mean buggers by the way. also they noted with the revo inshore they were using them in asia for bill fishing for marlin. gotta hand it to a low profile that can handle marlin. even if they are in the smaller range.

Tiny Tin wrote:

still thinking of calcutta vs curado

The Calcutta are barrel reels, Curado low profile. Whilst you can cast a calcutta easily and well, you will know the difference if your casting one all day. I'd only choose a calcutta over a curado for casting if I really needed the extra line capacity.

curado seems to be most peeps choice..i guess i'm over the line capacity..so the 200e1 (lefty) could be the go. if i can chuck a livie on it now and then it comes down to castability. what i don't want is a reel that i have to forcefully use so i end up with wind knots overruns ect. looks as though both reels can do similar things..no one has said you can't use either for the types of fish mentioned so it's been a close run race imo. i wondered about the speed ratio as i would use SPs mostly so have no need for 7-1 which the 200e has. reading here it looks as though it won't make much difference fighting fish? it's been an education for me thanks heaps..would have been easier if someone just said..that reels crap get this one :):P :woohoo:

that reels crap get an abu. lol :laugh: i kid i kid. they all have strong points. what it boils down to is preference. how does it feel in your hand. can you see urself casting all day with it. most people i talk to dont like that the revo sx weighs almost 9 oz's. but im 6'1 and to me it like a light lil graphite reel. and fly lining livies should be no problem at all. now try casting a livie with a daiwa saltist 40 loaded with 30lb mono now thats hard. but as u cast more and more it gets easier and easier. i think you made the right choice by the way. its what you like and how good it feels for you. were just here to give u our opinions and try to help you in that manner. hope you catch a huge jewie on that rig tin. good luck.

My Curado's are my my Barra and Cod reels, I have one LH one RH, loaded with 30lb braid. They are a forgiving reel, you can change from a 50mm lure to a 150mm lure without changing the brake settings no worries. Mine are the older models, and I am more than happy with them, I have caught barra to 115cm on them without any sign of them struggling.

Yeah, I know you haven't had your boat for long, so thought I'd let you know. They're some interesting spots but the boat almost always takes me to the mouth area also. The ramps are closer. Some of these are in the City reaches too.

I have them marked in the Garmin software that's in a crashed computer unfortunately :( . One day I'll pull them out and post up where.

Archived