My pressie from the fedex man

HookedOnTackle

sounds like a real great bargain you got there, it makes me wonder how tackle shops stay in business here when everything is so much cheaper overseas and you can buy it all with just a click of a mouse! Recently i built a rod from a samurai blank, this rod sales for $550 in a shop and i managed to build it for $300, so not only have i saved $250 but i felt that extra bit proud when i caught a 48cm snap on a rod that i built. how did a lure from japan have english written on it?? whenever i buy anything japanese here its in japanese :P

it is soooo sweet

the lures are for the usa domestic market, we get ours direct from the Japanese i am guessing and would cost more from the usa. printing and what not

i think our prices are so high for two reasons, first of all we pay it. secondly, every year they send half a dozen people on massive fishing trips, advertising, etc. that is a lot of cost passed onto the average consumer.

haha so that's where my money went? :P!

tested out the rod for a couple hours yesterday arvo hayden, on a few freshwater mullet and tilapia good fun haha! gonna go down to 2lb line and use that rod as my bream stick =]

cheers mate, and let me know if your getting any other gear in from overseas

money was already gone Khoi, you just helped feed me till i get the rod i want for this bad boy :)

nice to hear the mojiko is working out for you too.

the new quantum b/c are of more interest to me than the abu's. maybe cos my ambassdeur doesn't even have a thumb bar, just the small button to disengage the gear. suffice to say, it is only used for bait now...

HookedOnTackle wrote:

money was already gone Khoi, you just helped feed me till i get the rod i want for this bad boy :)

nice to hear the mojiko is working out for you too.

the new quantum b/c are of more interest to me than the abu's. maybe cos my ambassdeur doesn't even have a thumb bar, just the small button to disengage the gear. suffice to say, it is only used for bait now...

these are the low profile abu's they all have thumb bars now. cast like a dream. i used to have specifically daiwa and shimano reels. then i tried one of the abus out ..since then ive gotten 2 sx's and a winch. my next one is gonna be a premiere. ive been converted. i know evil. funny too. because its my friend who converted me. hes a hard core shimano guy. i mean he had 12 shimanos from the core to the calais to the calais dc(bass fisho). but he doesnt buy shimano anymore other than their cumara rods. he uses strictly premiere's

Toadie, it's called capitalism. the market will have to drop it's prices to compete, our brochures won't be as fluffy but everything will be cheaper. it's win win for fishos!

Nadders, the zillion is brand spanking new. tacklewarehouse.com are doing them for 200usd as they are no longer fifty years old now... :)

Apoklypso, the revo's do look pretty good, i haven't had the chance to really test one out, partly because the local tackle store guys have suggested Shimano and Daiwa. If we are ever out having a fish, i will gladly try one out, let you have a go of mine. Whoever dies with the most toys wins after all :)

Apoklypso, the revo's do look pretty good, i haven't had the chance to really test one out, partly because the local tackle store guys have suggested Shimano and Daiwa. If we are ever out having a fish, i will gladly try one out, let you have a go of mine. Whoever dies with the most toys wins after all :)

so you want all the local shops outa business?

maybe they should drop the prices. If we can import it and and pay postage cheaper than what they are selling it for they should contact the suppliers. I work hard for my $$ not going to support a company that it not compedive. That's why I'll never go back to tellstra

im with you rastus. if my local shop here cant provide me with a competitive price im going to go elsewhere. be it another state or another country. i work damn hard for my money. to me its blood money i want to get the most for it that i can. where i used to live(northern california) there was a vietnamese fishing shop 40 min away from home. yes i had closer shops to me but they couldnt match the prices i got from them 20% less and they carried high end shimano and daiwa that you couldnt get at the other shops. i got my stella 16000 for 550 out the door when they were sellin it at the shop down the street from my house for 699 plus tax. no thanks. like i always say. go where you money is worth more. just my .02c

p.s. this is just my opinion and nothing more.

+1 more to Rastus' thinking. If I can buy a couple of items cheaper including postage then the Tackle shops should lift their game. They are buying stuff by the pallet from the distributor, so should be paying way less per kilogram of stock than I ever could.

Tackle retailers are made to sell at a minimum selling price as part of their supplier agreement. A few years back one of the sellers was taken to task by Shimano for selling too cheap. It's part of the marketing ploy to make buyers believe price means quality.

So don't blame the retailers totally - boycott brands like Shimano.

ellicat wrote:

Tackle retailers are made to sell at a minimum selling price as part of their supplier agreement. A few years back one of the sellers was taken to task by Shimano for selling too cheap. It's part of the marketing ploy to make buyers believe price means quality.

So don't blame the retailers totally - boycott brands like Shimano.

that's true..they also have to buy a certain amount of gear to qualify as a shimano dealer. but if i was a retailer i'd be asking why buyers can go on the net and buy a reel (in my case) for $100 cheaper than the shop. it's not just fishing tackle..cars..boats..marine electronics blah blah..i tried to buy a new diesel walker mower cost here was close to $30,000..for a friggin lawn mower :angry: can't remember the price in the U.S but is was thousands cheaper. ausrtalia is a great place..great people but the bureaucrats are stuffing it up..big difference in lifestyle today from that of about twenty years ago..money went a lot further back then..more time to do whatever or nothing now it's flat strap and earn $500 a day or get left behind..i'm beginning to lag :P thank god for fishing :)

Archived