Spinaker Sound

Feral

Felt like a quiet fish, and had not taken Alex out for a while, so Alex and I met up with Ferg and Vicki for a fish at Spinaker Sound. Bait was yabbies, pumped by ferg at his secret spot a couple of hours earlier, weapons of choice, handlines, 12lb line.

Caught a couple of undersized bream. Having been mostly fresh water fishing for aggressive fish like Bass and Barra, I missed quite a few bream bites they were so timid it took me a while to realise it was bites I was feeling! I only landed 1 bream for about 30 bites! Alex got 1, he also did not even notice a lot of his bites, but that had a lot to do with his new 1,000,000 candle power spot light he was using to annoy people with on the other side of the marina.

But the interesting thing was this huge toadfish, about 6 inches across the head. (Looked like a golden toadfish, but did not have a hope getting it of the water far enough on 12lb line to have a good look).

First up Alex got bitten clean through, without even feeling it, (I mean bitten through the hook!) then the same happened to Ferg about half an hour later. Then I was on, and after a huge struggle (we were using handlines) up comes this massive Toad fish, it was about an 8 foot drop to the water, so could not get a real good look at him, I tried to slowly skull drag him up onto the wall, but the hook pulled out of his mouth, and I ended up wearing a hook and sinker in the mouth as it flew up. Luckily we were using split shot so more of a scare than any damage, smacked me right on the front teeth!

About ten minutes later Alex was on, another big fight and low and behold the rotten toad fish is back again! This time he was better hooked, but the 12lb line broke trying to pull him up.

Alex was not impressed, so he strung together enough 60cm wire traces that they reached the water, he wanted this toad fish! no fish beats him! Unfortunately the last episode must of made the old toadfish to sore. we had no more action for an hour or so so decided to call it a night.

We were not home 10 minutes when we got a message from Vicki, they had caught the Toadfish again, and it still had Alex's hook in its mouth. Once again they could not get it up the wall, so the Toad fish now has two piercings!

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/03/11 07:06

i remember stories in the papers over the years of people getting thier toes bitten off by giant toadfish while dangling thier feet in the water.

up in hervy bay they use them as bait for the giant blue spot trevally that hang out under the urangan pier

Post edited by: jeff f, at: 2007/03/11 13:41

Archived