setup for small fish - bream, bass etc

iqarus

got myself set up with combo's for every weight class except the small stuff, too keen chasing monsters and forgot how fun small fish are.

went wandering in BCF for a few hours today looking at rods and reels and got utterly confused.

whats the difference between all the shimano 1000-3000 size reels :huh:

and whats the go with carbon/graphite rods ? what are their pro's/con's

im probably looking at $350-400 for a setup, targeting both salt and freshwater fish under 5 kg. i hear big bream and bass are fun on 2lb line :woohoo:

any suggestions are welcome :cheer:

edit: oh and im after a spin setup, already have a baitcaster set up on 8lb and not too keen on them for flicking light lures...

Go a 1000 series reel and either a 1-4 or 2 to 4 kilo rod. Boat or yak based 6 foot, land based 7 foot.

Spool it with 6lb braid, use thin leader if you want the "fish light" experience. there is bugger all difference in line thickness once you get under about 8lb in braid.

G'day iqarus,

I'm newish to the site (first post is this one though I have been sourcing info for a few months!!). I'm no expert on on spinning reels but noticed a BCF TV ad tonight advertising Shimano Sienna reels (not sure what sizes) for $49 (normally $79).

Would be interested to hear others thoughts on them as might get one myself.

Kelvin.

Sienna's will do the job as long as you don't go too light with your line. The tuna in my display pic was caught on a 2000 sienna, so they do the job. The really fine light lines are a lot more likely to break as the drag doesn't have the sensitivity found in mid to higher end reels.

Shimano 100-1500 has a small body, smaller spool and hence drag. the 2500-3000 has larger gears, drag, etc. go to shimanofish.com.au and check the line capacity and max drag of the reel/s you are looking at.

Yea i wouldnt go 2lb just yet ayy start with 4lb and maybe go down to 2 after a while of useing it as i got 4lb and i wouldnt really go anything less as u just drop too many fish if your not exsperenced enough.Go somthing like the fireline its really smooth nd great to fish with.

cheers sean

mate if you've got the $400 to spend... keep in mind what you can get brand new for that price... and what you can get 2nd hand as well.

I'm always an advocate for buying quality, well maintained 2nd hand gear. Why pay the exorbitant cost of new stuff when you can let some other sucker :P pay for it and you get a good deal???

for $400 new...a symetre 1500 will set you back around $150. A shimano raider bream finness (the new ones look nice but mixed reports on functionality) should set you back around the same price... that'll leave you ~$100 to play with for line, leader and some plastics/hardbodies.

If you go 2nd hand you could probably get a Daiwa Tierra, Shimano Stradic or if you're lucky a twin-power for $200, pre-spooled. Then you could get a sweet rod for $200 as well.

All up to you :)

Rod and reel choice is a personal thing, but in regard to braid, I don't like to use anything unser 4lb as the wind can pick it up on a cast and put quite a bow in the line. Its quite a problem when fishing around pontoons and the like. These days I use minimum 6lb braid and then super thin leaders. I'm sure many will disagree with me

Archived