braid leaders

Tiny Tin

just read on another thread about some use of braid as leaders. interesting as i thought braid was less abrasion resistant than mono and it's supposed to be highly visible to fish in the water. if i hook a snag it's usually the leader that gives so i could see myself having a real tussle to break free at times. also losing a few fish as the braid rubs off on the rocks. i guess there are situations where it's useful but i'd never tried it..do you and why :huh: cheers

tin. in the smaller diameters it is not very abrasian resistant. but in the large diameters it is decent. it does take awhile to break but as each strand shreds the line rating does decrease. as i said i used 150 lb braid leaders when fishing for sturgeon. if you do get snagged what you do is have a towel handy. wrap the line around ur arm like your rolling rope. use the towel to cover ur elbow and palm then pull with a steady pull. with heavy braid its usually the swivel snaps or the hook straightens out. for me it was always the 8/0 hook that straigthened out. lol

apoklyps60 wrote:

tin. in the smaller diameters it is not very abrasian resistant. but in the large diameters it is decent. it does take awhile to break but as each strand shreds the line rating does decrease. as i said i used 150 lb braid leaders when fishing for sturgeon. if you do get snagged what you do is have a towel handy. wrap the line around ur arm like your rolling rope. use the towel to cover ur elbow and palm then pull with a steady pull. with heavy braid its usually the swivel snaps or the hook straightens out. for me it was always the 8/0 hook that straigthened out. lol

so it doesn't deter the fish then? i might give it a go and see what happens..obviously there's a time n place to do it. :) are you using circle hooks when doing this? part of the reason i use fluro as a leader is to get a bit of stretch so i don't pull the hooks..but always good to try another way eh? ;)

Feral wrote:

Big braid leaders, usually fireline, in the dark gray, are an alternate leader in the barra dams, particularly when there is a lot of weed about. The braid will cut through weed, flouro wont.

that's a good point feral..i was actually reading an article that mentioned braid being used that way..obviously didn't sink in. i've often wondered how fish see line/braid if it's laying on the bottom..like with whiting rigs? when i fished fresh water in the uk i would use thiner leader than mainline..fish don't pull as hard i guess. if fishing canals just tie a 10oz bit of line to a peice of elastic (pole fishing) and catch all types of fish..obviously if ya fishing for carp you might wanna up ya line to 1lb..getting heavy now..lol..true but. you take a few ready made rigs..and just loop em to the elestic of a pole..i've seen poles for sale for a few thousand quid! :) just another example of what peeps get up to..

Tiny Tin wrote:

apoklyps60 wrote:

so it doesn't deter the fish then? i might give it a go and see what happens..obviously there's a time n place to do it. :) are you using circle hooks when doing this? part of the reason i use fluro as a leader is to get a bit of stretch so i don't pull the hooks..but always good to try another way eh? ;)

i dont fish with braid leader anymore. if i flick lures i usually tie direct. when i fish bait i fish a 75-80cm flouro leader. i usually match the braid with the flouro. 10lb braid 10-12lb leader. 15lb 15 leader. or ill go up one weight class. i like the stretch of the flouro. depending on the fish some fish hit hard and fast and stretch is something you want with fish like this. soft biting fish is perfect for straight braid use. sensitivity is the game there. sturgeon hit both ways. they hit(pull down) in a steady strong pull. or they sit there mouthing the bait. and all you will register is a vibrating tip. hope it helps tin. stick with the flouro leader. even mono. the stretch in that meter or so section does help.

i normally fish 4-6lb braid on 8-10 or 12lb leader (fluro) depending on water clarity..area and fish type. 15lb braid i go up to 20lb leader and so on (similar)never tied lures direct one of those things i've thought about but always talked myself out of..i use the simple methods..simple is best for me. still like to know what others are doing as it just might be better

apoklyps60 wrote:

Where abouts did you go sturgeon fishing mate? I Went in Brittish Columbia! Good fun aye!

Matty

Archived