Honda or Mecury 4 stroke

Anhie

rayke1938 wrote:

For info and advice talk to Mick or Theo at Coorparoo marine both reputable and honest with no bullsh,

re merc 4 stroke i have a 2004 50 hp efi 4 stroke ex house boat and over 1700 hours and still going strong. Compression equal in all cylinders. It has has a gearbox rebuild just before I brought it due to a length of barb wire being wrapped around prop.Hadnt used it for 3 months and started first time last week.

The hondas tend to have a lot of ordinary steel bolts in the power head that tend to get rusty when exposed to salt.I used to have a 2001 model 20hp honda that was starting to look very ordinary under the cowl due to this despite regular spraying with WD40.

Cheers

Ray

if your looking around the 60 hp range. ask a few owners about salt getting under the cowl and leaving a dry salt resideue everywhere on the merc's. and mercury don't seem to fussed about fixing the problem, or helping out mercury owners with this problem, maybe seek out other motors such as suzuki, their motors have a very good reputation now, but don't know any 1 with smaller 1's, but talking to ppl with them are very impressed, hondas, are a lil pricy so i am led to believe, but good luck.

You won't have much trouble with either, both are good motors as is the Suzuki.

Having owned all three ( current is Honda 50) my pick would be the Merc though, seemed to have the edge in power and fuel consumption.

As I started, if you had any of these and take care you will have a good run.

Archived