a place to camp out west

James W

myself and kiwi are keen to take the canoe on a camping trip. i would love to camp somewhere out west in cod country. condamine,severn river e.c.t.

ideally a private property would be great, a place to launch the "noe", have a little camp set up e.c.t

does anyone know of a land owner out that way that would be kind enough to let us borrow a patch of dirt on a river?

we would leave no mess or rubbish and would not be a hassle at all. would even pay in beer! :) to have the chance to fish out that way would be awesome!

so does anyone know of a land owner out that way that we could approach?

thanx guys :)

They are public land (despite what a lot of cockies think), usually between 200m and 1k wide, basically like a road for moving stock along. They either follow rivers or strings of watering holes (either natural or main made). They run all over rural Queensland. Other possible camping spots are town commons, but usually any water near a town is pretty much flogged.

Mate jsut have a look through the jobs guide thing for jobs out west.Then give the propities a ring that are i nthe area you want to go and ask then if you could come out and camp its worth a shot as i dont think they will mind its not as if they are going to see you an 100 thousand acres so i think you will be fine.Its worth a shot even if they wont maybe there mates will.

cheers sean

Gibraltar. Water is a bit low at the moment, but there is water. There's two sections here I've pulled cod. The first is out of the main stretch that runs for most of the camping area. The second is just upstream. Remember it's closed season on cod there - border rivers are run by NSW. Also, Tandanus is a no-take species (from rivers) as well.

Head towards Inglewwod/Goondiwindi from Warwick.

Just after the Servo at Omanama is a turnoff to Stanthorpe on the left. (Cross the rail line).

Head along that road (obey the suggested speeds on bends). Take a note of Tobacco Rd as you pass it. That's one way to get back to Coolmunda Dam if you feel like it, not that there's much water in it at the moment. Don't turnoff when it says Stanthorpe, stay on the road until it ends and then turn left. Head on down about 15kms and turn right into texas-yelarbon rd. There's an airfield on the RHS. A little way along you'll see some stockyards on the left where Old Texas Yelarbon Road meets (that info's just so you know you're heading in the right direction) About 10kms along there's a big powerline tower that comes close to the road. There's also a minor road that comes in on the right just after there that leads up to a hay shed, if you pass that you've gone too far. Open the righthand gate and drive in there. Camp wherever you like. Watch out for all the snakes. :unsure: The Dumaresq River is a typical one which is a few hundred metres of fishable waters then a shallow section that you'll have to walk thru to the next section etc etc. Take plenty of Bushmans' Insect Repellant. Flies love a fresh host - especially at food time.

On the pic it is the small patch of land between the road and the river. The black line under the yellow dot is the minor road/hay shed I mentioned.

Warwick_QLD_to_Gibraltar.jpg

Texas. If you continue onto Texas rather than turning off to Gibraltar, head past the town on your left and just after you cross the bridge over the river turn left down a dirt road. The river will be on your left and there's a few spots along there to camp away from the crowds too. Near the old bridge (that you'll see just after turning onto the dirt road) there is camping on the Qld side, but usually there's a few there. Some nice stretches of river that I haven't fished yet but they get yellas and cod.

If that fails ya head into town and do some window shopping on the high side of the street. There is a particularly interesting display in one of the windows ;):PTexas.jpg

bahahaha well if you and kiwi didn't plan these little trips in secret and chatted to your wives they would remind you they have an aunt that lives in Warwick on the condamine, another cousin that lives near a river half way between St George and Surat and that your father in law lives in Walgett near the Namoi.....which by the way is a property that adjoins a stock route...dad also has an agistment on the Brewarinna-Walgett rd which follows the Barwon river....if you two wanna do the drive you could camp at any of these....it would all be a bit brokeback mountainy and I think Ash would get jealous :laugh:

mrsjimmybob wrote:

bahahaha well if you and kiwi didn't plan these little trips in secret and chatted to your wives they would remind you they have an aunt that lives in Warwick on the condamine, another cousin that lives near a river half way between St George and Surat and that your father in law lives in Walgett near the Namoi.....which by the way is a property that adjoins a stock route...dad also has an agistment on the Brewarinna-Walgett rd which follows the Barwon river....if you two wanna do the drive you could camp at any of these....it would all be a bit brokeback mountainy and I think Ash would get jealous :laugh:

hahahha thats awesome havent heard a jimmy and ash joke in ages! lol

kriso wrote:

mrsjimmybob wrote:

hahahha thats awesome havent heard a jimmy and ash joke in ages! lol

shuddup kriso :blush: :P

Do$tylz wrote:

Ahahaha thank god my missus would never even consider getting on AFO... she hears enough about it at home :P

Funny as to see posts from significant others just to give sh!t to their dudes.

yeah i made the mistake of taking the missus fishing to trowl for lizards :dry:

kiwifisho wrote:

Bugger brokeback mountain, are there sheep out there :P .Well I thought i would get it in b4 any of u aussies did, actually Im surprized no one thought of it :huh: and b4 any more sheep jokes come out, Ive heard em all :P

Dean ;)

awe come on mate you have only heard the baaaaaaaaaddd ones! rofl :P

Archived