Tons of whiting in the bay

rastus

Went out in the bay on the boss's boat inside moreton island. Started the day off with a 3 1/2 foot wobbygong got it to the boat then the trace let go but the boys got to see it so that was fun then started getting onto so whiting when managed to snap my 2 week old diablo 6-10kg spin rod the line should have broke first was only 20lb not sure what fish it was snapped off ( not a whiting fir sure as the bait was as big as they were lol) on the lower half of the rod. So I'm taking it back to tackle warehouse as far as I can see I should get a replacement. They spooled the reel and I went down to 20lb from what I wanted 25-30 as they eared me I I fished it that heavy the rod might go.

We then proceded to pull whiting after whiting onto the boat spread accross 13 ppl on the boat. Every five min for about 6 hours was getting tired of them to the end of the day with only a couple undersized would have been 150+

One of the boys got a small Trev not sure what type about 300mm wish I got a photo of it but o well get him when he grows a bit bigger.

Mate I've done the same thing, breaking a rod at what I thought would have been way under its capacity, but it was with only about 20 foot of line out, and I was trying to pull it off a snag. I didn't high stick it, but I dont know if it was the extra leverage because of the short amount of line out might have caused it, or maybe there was a scratch on the rod. Either way I watched the top half of the rod disappear in to the drink. It broke about half way down the rod.

Archived