new arti reefs

Tiny Tin

i had a chat with a mate about this subject he has told me that granite boulders have been deployed at arrys to expend the arti reef there. apparently there are two new reefs also being constructed. one north of moreton island and one east of bribie. i had heard that there were three sites being investigated for an arti reef and that the one chosen would be the one north of moreton. not much use to most of the fishers as it'll be a pig to get too for small boats due to the crossing at comby. anyone heard anything about the new reefs..it would be good to know what's happening. they're going great guns in bundy with even more ships and concrete being dumped to expand the reef off elliot heads. wish we had a mob working for us in the same area..cheers

Sparksie wrote:

How far out are the reefs at Elliott...?

Yeah, would be good here...

Maybe we are to close to the centre of the BS castle to have them and MP's are more easy going the further you get away from George Street...

just a few klms i watched from the bank as heaps of small tinnies traversed the bar and headed off to the reef. you can see the boats from the shoreline. it's quite an extensive reef..without the new additions. which are also quite substantial. it took just one year for fish such as yellow tail kingfish to arrive at the hms brisbane that was sank of the sunshine coast. if you get a chance take a look at the epa site and check it out..heaps of life on it already..trevs..kingys..squid heaps of bait blah blah. i know we are to get a reef i just don't know how far the gov had got with it..or if we are getting all 3? :) i think the big thing up in bundy is they have a group of people who are dedicated to building that reef and work closely with the government to make it happen. they were the ones who got the arti started in the first place.

no reply from the EPA yet but found the following marks and a message stating the drop at harry atkinsons new site would begin in october 2007. if so the place should be kicking along quite well..here's the marks for it;

27-24-45s

153-18-65e

from what i can gather the construction will get to around 5m high sitting in around 20m..pretty good for the bay

re concrete blocks..i did here that the EPA wouldn't allow the dumping of concrete and a few other materials? dunno how that works exactly as the reefs in bundy get plenty.

they were dropped by a clam shell barge aprox 15 mtrs in length, so not a lot of boats will be anchored there, as it's quite small, this patch.

i also heard there were doing another dump around this area but no word as yet on when. and this was last year i heard. the first dump comes up around 7.5 mtrs

Archived