Tailor Spinning Combo Advice..?

Angus

Hey everyone,

Looking for a rod and reel advice. This is actually for the old man, but could possibly be for me as well.

At present dad uses his fireblood 4000 and custom made 7 foot Loomis rod for tailor spinning. He has been down to our usual haunts a lot lately and is just being out gunned by our new neighbour and new fishing buddy Luarie.

Laurie uses an older Penn set up but due to extra length gets 2 times the distance easily. Also the longer rod enables an easier retrieve over the rocks, where as dad has been dragging a lot of Cunjavoi in lately.

Bottom line is, does anyone do much heavier spinning here? We are certainly NOT looking at surf rods as we have those. Just a longer tougher spinning combo for throwing 40Gram to 60gram slugs.

It has to be pretty hardy as tailor are most common but big trevs and kingies are not unheard of here.

Cheers.

Angus

Gus ive got an ugly stick gold 8 footer, 4-8 kg, with a diawa regal BRI 4500, running 30 pound braid, something like this would be good fun, tho maybe going a live fibre in around the 9 footer??? this stick has really fast action top end so you can really sling out the slugs

Angus wrote:

Hey everyone,

Looking for a rod and reel advice. This is actually for the old man, but could possibly be for me as well.

At present dad uses his fireblood 4000 and custom made 7 foot Loomis rod for tailor spinning. He has been down to our usual haunts a lot lately and is just being out gunned by our new neighbour and new fishing buddy Luarie.

Laurie uses an older Penn set up but due to extra length gets 2 times the distance easily. Also the longer rod enables an easier retrieve over the rocks, where as dad has been dragging a lot of Cunjavoi in lately.

Bottom line is, does anyone do much heavier spinning here? We are certainly NOT looking at surf rods as we have those. Just a longer tougher spinning combo for throwing 40Gram to 60gram slugs.

It has to be pretty hardy as tailor are most common but big trevs and kingies are not unheard of here.

Cheers.

Angus

here ya go angus

/>http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DVUYLK

hi angus

i have a gary howard phantom 10 matched with an emblem pro 5500a, it throws anything from a 30 to 70g a country mile. using 10lb fireline easy to get halfway across the gc seaway without even trying. a very stiff rod that is cable of dead lifting a fairly good weight. best fish to date on it; 60cm gt off coloundra rocks. if you hunt around possible to get the combo for under 600 including 300 metres of xp braid.

cheers

al

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Angus - just wondering how the search went mate? Im looking for something similar dead on or very close to 8ft if possible, 4-8 kg range, stiff fast taper for firing slugs 20-40 gram, but not really chunky through the butt section if possible..

apoklyps60 those Daiwas look nice.. Do you know if they come in an 8 mate? Have you held one? They look to be the sleekness through the butt Im after.

Any other suggestions welcome.

nah they come only in an 8.5 bro. they are used specifically for salmon fishing. i use them also fro striped bass. some people use em for blue fish(tailor) on the east coast. the 8.5 shouldnt be a problem tho they break down into 2 pieces. i fit my 9' shimano clarus in my lil nissan 2 door. but i also fit 8.5 foot one piece in there. hope it helps

Archived