axle position

Smiderman

Most mount kits wont mount the axle under the springs. The locator hole in the plate must go under the spring. If it doesn't there is nothing to stop the axle slipping forward or backward except friction, the locator knob would also be in the way of the axle.Do not offset the mount to get around this, the spring would not be being loaded properly and may fail. To actually mount it that way you would need to get an extra mount plate and have one each side of the spring, as well as longer u bolts.The locator knob may still protrude from the mount plate causing issues with the axle tightening up snug.

Having said all that I used to mount my race car axle behind the standard spring mounts, so it did not use the locator lugs and it never moved. However it is not considered safe and would make a copper / transport inspectors eyes bulge.

Generally the exercise with most boat trailers is to get the boat as low as possible. for easier launching / retrieval. I have seen stepped axles and even blocks between the axle and the spring to achieve this.

I don't know whether its a standard axle but it has a small flat plate with a locating hole welded to it hence stopping the slip and the issue of the lug getting in the road .

The reason I ask is a mate has just purchase a 2nd hand 4.25m quintrex and the trailer must have larger diameter after market wheels on it, as the tyres are about 30-40mm from the underside of the guard, which I'd imagine would see the tyres having close liaison with the guard on a regular basis.

Putting the axle under the springs would give the tyres better clearance but as mentioned by shortie above it would make it more difficult to get the boat on & off the trailer.

Just reckon that the tyre wear would be a bigger pain, than the loading & unloading the boat. I guess option 2 would be re set the guard height but that would involve welding etc.

Check the setup.

Many trailers these days the guards are part of the unsprung assembly, IE they stay the same height from the tyres as they move with the axle.

Also if you have 30mm clearance, just look at the underside of the guard and see if it is polished, (polished means it is rubbing) you might be surprised, it may be fine.

Archived