Good day/ bad day.

rayke1938

Launched at Colmslie at 6am. Was going to go up to mouth of brekky creek to try for a mackeral but changed my mind. :blush:

Threw the cast net for around 10 or so poddies and one 4inch squid just between the red bakcon and the first downstream wharf and then headed off down to the mouth.

Deployed a couple of liveys and then started casting the quantas transam alla Dino.

Got a good hit after a couple of dozen casts and lost it after a couple of minutes. The 25lb leader was all chaffed and rough for a few feet so I think it may have been a shark.

New leader and start casting again and i think gee thats a good cast . It was only thing I had a join in the line using a uniknot and it let go. Goodby transam number 2.

Then picked up this on a livey.

PA150002AFO.jpg

It had swallowed the hooks deep so covered with techniice and a towell.

Then this one around 120 put up a good fight.Also on livey .

PA150003AFO.jpg

Then hooked up on another good one on amy last transam and decided to be a bit smart and release it from landing net at side of boat and take a photo of it beside boat.

Unhooked the lure with pliers and whilst holding landing net with one hand grabbed the camers and tried to take a photo. Fish gave a mighty lurch, i nearly dropped camera and almost fell into the drink and fish escaped from net and wrecked the frame of the net.

Back at ramp and met a guy who showed me a " huge catfish " that he had caught. big thready. Makes you wonder how often this happens.

i told him how good they are to eat and filleted it for him and conned the frame for Brad.

All in all not too bad a day just upset about losing 2 transams and wrecking net.

Brad dropped in this arvo and collected the frame that i had been keeping in the freezer from the other day plus a bonus of 2 more frames and a fillet of fish to boot.

Cheers

Ray

Ps if you keep a thready dont forget brad he wants all the frames he can get for his research project.

his mobile is 0401055589

Malcolm wrote:

brisbane_boy wrote:
That 120 is a good fish, i dont agree with taking out any breeders but congrats all the same.

Might be best you stop fishing mate.

With your amazing fishing skills I'm sure you would end up with plenty of breeders of all species.

that was a little harsh mal brisbane_boy was being pretty polite in his post, it is a good reminder as well that breeding season is upon us

brisbane_boy wrote:

well done on the release them i can see its very inflated, what methods did you use to get it successfully released so it didnt float, hopefully others can learn from this.

That is generally done by chucking it over the side of the boat, perhaps you might want to take your agenda over here

/>http://greens.org.au/

i took it as a genuine question and opportunity for people to learn inflated bladder relase methods who may not be familiar with them?

i'll put my 2c in for the release topic, not sure what method ray used but if they are floating with a blown up belly you can either use a release weight or a hollow needle, release weight is the best method as sticking a needle in the wrong place can damage the fishes organs.

for a big thready though a release weight will need to be fairly heavy, you can fairly easily make one at home though. basically look up the design of a commercial one and replicate with a wire coat hanger and weights lol

It was still fairly frisky concidering the fight it put up. i think the extended anal vent was due to the fight and not barotrauma I was anchored in 20 ft of water and fishing the edge of the drop off so it didnt get down deep. I did try weighting one down with a heavy weight and doing a bottom release only to see it emerge on the top 100 yards downstream so i now prefer to work them beside the boat for a while. I do not have a lot of experience with threadies as it is very rare for me to get multiple catches.

Cheers

Ray

the problem with threadies is they have a very large swim bladder so coming from 10m to 0m is enough to fill the swim bladder with air causing them to float. if they are dropped back down to 10m the pressure will equalise. sometimes ive had them strong enough to kick down a few metres and enough air escapes to allow them to keep going, but its not that common especially if they got down deeper than 10m at all during the fight

the one that you saw reappear may have fallen off the release weight before it got down deep enough, even if the fish is stone cold dead it shouldn't float back up from the bottom (as long as its deep enough) as the air will be expelled from the bladder

really the best way to release big tired fish from the mouth during spawnig season is to avoid the area altogether lol but there is another thread for discussing that

Good report Ray, happy you got onto the fish.

When I first moved to SEQ 15 years ago I was told about the metre long cat fish, ummm not sure why it took so long to catch on.

I'tt tell you a story - one day I was digging up some dead trees and roots when my phone message went off. I continued to plant the new plants, moved 2 cubic metres of crushed rock and suffer a sore back. So I sit down to a cold beer and review the message. It's a friggin metre plus thready photo from Ray. Gee thanks mate I happy for you. :laugh:

brisbane_boy wrote:

Feral, throwing bloated fish back over the side clearly suffering barotrauma without doing anything to releave that is a sure way to kill the fish, why throw back dead fish?

Ill let Ray respond, hopefully he didnt do what you have described

:ohmy:

Heads up brissy boy - Ray often responds to Feral when Feral drops his kids off at Grandpa Ray place or when Garndpa Ray drops in to see his Grandkids at his sons Ferals place. ummmm get it?

Archived