Conserving threadfin stocks

nadders

:ta: Feral wrote:

Angus wrote:

However in all seriousness, I think a couple of people, friends of mine included have really taken this thread in the wrong way.

I dont think so, same old banned members (and their mates) back on again stirring up trouble - again.

Anyone who criticises a fellow fisho for fishing legally is doing nothing but supporting the green movement. It just helps them drive a wedge between fisho's leading to further erosion of our ability to fish.

We must make a stand against further erosion of our fishing rights, or one day you wont be having a fish at all. So anyone who has a shot at another fisho for legal fishing practices is going to be getting a shot straight back from me. Wake up to yourselves and see how the greens are breaking us apart from the inside.

I post no fishing reports anymore because I am sick of the green brigade.

Well said angus

you are the voice of reason :)

Nadders you are just trying to do the right thing and for that I :ta:

Feral you are so consumed by this green thing ( You have posted links in threads, and one of mine) that you can't except that people want to help the longevity of certain species! and for doing so we are greens! Wake up there's a huge difference between caring and hugging a ... tree! Get over yourself! We want to read your reports and your opinion is just as valuble as the next guys but get over the green thing!

No disrespect intended your a seasoned vet and you have a lot of knowledge to offer young fishos and older ones alike but this thread was intended as an education tool, plane and simple.

Keep ya lines tight :)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feral wrote:

Angus wrote:

However in all seriousness, I think a couple of people, friends of mine included have really taken this thread in the wrong way.

I dont think so, same old banned members (and their mates) back on again stirring up trouble - again.

Anyone who criticises a fellow fisho for fishing legally is doing nothing but supporting the green movement. It just helps them drive a wedge between fisho's leading to further erosion of our ability to fish.

We must make a stand against further erosion of our fishing rights, or one day you wont be having a fish at all. So anyone who has a shot at another fisho for legal fishing practices is going to be getting a shot straight back from me. Wake up to yourselves and see how the greens are breaking us apart from the inside.

I post no fishing reports anymore because I am sick of the green brigade.

Feral I am only referring to Nadders original post. Nadders is certainly not a banned member and has always upheld the AFO rules well.

I totally agree with you regarding banned members as you well know. I actually mentioned this to nadders earlier today saying that its a shame certain old favourites always have to jump in as it actually detracts from the content from then on for a ot of us.

Anyway this is way off topic. I was only defending nadders right to an opinion whether I agree with it or not.

Angus

To disagree or challenge is not a bad thing on a forum. Being able to appreciate both sides view is also helpful. Seems to me that all reasonable people understand it's a good thing to protect a fishery. I don't see anyone opposing nadders view outright.

Facts can't be argued, but opinions and guesswork can and should be. The whole green zoning rubbish was the result of scant facts and voluminous unchallenged opinions, guesswork and imaginings. The DPI are the fisheries manager. I say let them manage it. We've seen what happens when decisions are placed in the hands of zealots.

Nadders, if you don't want your opinions to be challenged or questioned or others to express their own view then you need to go to the lecturn and deliver a sermon, not try to deny discussion on a public forum.

Facts should be the basis for anybodys decision on what they do with threadies and when and where they do it.

all i can say is i found it dissapointing that i've had to be on the defensive for a good chunk of this thread.

i don't think i've said anything tantamount to discounting others opinions ellicat, all i've done is defended my position as not being a "Radical green movement" or "shit stirring child" as was suggested. I clearly stated countless times now that i'm simply providing information regarding the breeding habits of aspecies of fish and suggesting we leave their major aggregation site alone, i presented the facts and made a suggestion. i've made that point so many times now its getting ridiculous, the info is out so do what you will with it. hopefully brad will post up some of his own thoughts on this topic as well

until then, i am off to plan how to infiltrate the next online community for 12 months before showing my true colours as a fisherman hating tree hugger

I dont want to keep on stirring the pot.

BUT

I firmly believe that if we wish to protect a fishery it is a waste of time and effort just trying to educate some of the members on this site.

The battle has to be taken out into the open community.

It is a false arguement to say then everyone will know about it and there will be more rapeing of the fishery.

That is exactly what happened to the banana prawns everyone winged about it amongst themselves and no one made it a public issue untill it was too late.

It took untill 1999 before the bag limit on prawns was set and the size limit of nets set.

If people are genuinely committed to a cause they have to put their heart and soul into it and live it 24 hours a day.

The battle has to be taken to other forums, the press and radio and tv and then to the politians who may start to listen once the subject is in the public eye.

Been there and done that and too old for it now.

I will shut up now.

Cheers

Ray

Ray thats a good point about spreading the word, since the robzam lures became prominant in thredfin catching circles there has been a lot of information spread as far wide as nth queensland to customers who have been chasing these fish, it didnt make sense to make deadly fishing tools only for everyone to destroy what they came to enjoy, many have asked for information on how to release these fish.

There are lots who do not have access to these discussions have benefited from the copy and paste and some of the issues highlighting this fishery. There may be some forthcoming contributions through the bush and beach magazine.

This thread has got so out of hand it isnt funny.

I applaud nadder's foward thinking in trying to educate some of the general fishing community on this site as to the known areas that hold a high percentage of the larger breeding fish.

Its a well known fact that the pipeline is a big thready spot. Big thready's means that they are breeders. If they school there and spawn at a particular time then it is a good sustainable fishing practice to try to avoid that congregation as much as possible.

there will always be big threadfin caught elsewhere than around the mouth. HOWEVER the vast majority of larger fish are caught towards the mouth. This probably has something to do with the fact that the vast majority of fishing in the river occurs in this section.

There is documented evidence that thready stocks have been found in rivers like Pimpama and Logan river and this is only very new (2years ish) Maybe this means the species is spreading which would be good as it would take a lot of pressure off the Brissy river population.

Obviously threadies are one of THE fish for the brisbane river, everyone wants to catch one and thats fair enough. I myself targetted them for severel months looking for that big fish. I have since caught that fish and have not targetted them since because i have moved on to other fishing that is of more interest to me.

The regulations of Threadfin salmon are based on old knowledge. The link that was posted by ray clearly states the noosa river as their southern limit. We now know this is not the case. Therefore i think the rules regarding the species should be reviewed.

Yes, they are magical fish. Yes, i believe everyone should have the chance to catch one.

HOWEVER!!!

if it is well known that there is a breeding congregation at a certain time of the year then there should be limitations made to ensure the sustainability of the species for futuer generations.

In the end the most meter plus fish come from the area around the pipeline. We as fisherman need to come together for the good of our children so they can enjoy the great fishing the river has to offer aswell.

hmm... i second what fishyman has just said.

but seriously, what's with all this nadders bashing??? the bloke was just trying to rally support to a cause that would not only benefit all of us but the future generations as well.

i mean, seriously, if it's not a cause worthy of supporting, then what? i mean, when there's "how to catch X species" threads, there's lots of hearty pats on the backs going all around when the info's being spread, so why is there such a negative response to this? Frankly, I havent ever seen any other successful anglers on this site rally support for the conservation of any species at all.

this thread has gone from something... to something..wierd.... :/

where is the Nadders bashing you talk about its just people giving their opinion the same as he has, who has abused or sworn or badly attacked Nadders no one if you read all the posts you will find no one has come right out and totaly dissagreed with Nadders. There are lots of people on this site and that means lots of opinions, like it or not, if we all had the same thoughts the world would be boring,I am keeping my opinion to myself as I have only caught 3.

i vote for a 1 threadie in possesion limit . but i really dont eat much fish i just derive my enjoyment from torturing small creatures putting hooks in them and trying to get them to catch larger creatures that i can release after harrasing them with a camera , thats normal isnt it .

ps good try nadders if i were you id make up some posters and put them up at the boat ramps

jason

Archived