dholmes

Hi All,

Used to go fishing alot with the old man when I was young, in the Top End. Been dry for long time, just starting to get back into it. I basically feel like I know absolutely Nothing about fishing.

Could really use some information or tips to point me in the right direction regarding;

- Rods + Reel setups

- Baits, lures and why and where, when how.. etc

- good spots, types of fish and what baits to use for them.

I think I really needa 'Fishing for Dummies' book... Any of those around? lol.

Any Help would Be appreciated.

cheers, D. :side:

g'day,

this site is one big fishing for dummies book, best thing i reckon is read through the reports section of the site, pay attention to what setups the guys where using like reel size , line wieght , lure type and weight. etc. and it will give you a pretty good idea.

for the river/estuary fishing in brisbane i use a few setups, 4-10lb rod with a 2000 size stradic (shimano spinning reel), 8lb line for the small stuff (i dont really fish for bream but that size gear works, most would use lighter though)

then i have a medium setup, 100 size calcutta baitcaster with 15lb braid, on 8-16lb rod, this will handle most in the river

then for even tighter areas or bigger fish 200 curado baitcaster, 30lb braid, 12-20lb rod, and thats it for me, i mainly fihs lures but will throw a livie on the baitcasters every now and then

nadders wrote:

for the river/estuary fishing in brisbane i use a few setups, 4-10lb rod with a 2000 size stradic (shimano spinning reel), 8lb line for the small stuff (i dont really fish for bream but that size gear works, most would use lighter though)

then i have a medium setup, 100 size calcutta baitcaster with 15lb braid, on 8-16lb rod, this will handle most in the river

then for even tighter areas or bigger fish 200 curado baitcaster, 30lb braid, 12-20lb rod, and thats it for me, i mainly fihs lures but will throw a livie on the baitcasters every now and then

i swear about two months ago, you had never hooked a thready on lure? now ur a lure addict haha. whatever happened to the baitrunners?

dholmes wrote:

Hi All,

Used to go fishing alot with the old man when I was young, in the Top End. Been dry for long time, just starting to get back into it. I basically feel like I know absolutely Nothing about fishing.

Could really use some information or tips to point me in the right direction regarding;

- Rods + Reel setups

try to be more specific dholmes. there is so much information these guys there can give you.

- Rods + Reel setups - you fishing river? bay? open ocean? amount you want to spend?(limit) they can help with everything. ive found them to be a fount of information.

hey dan have you noticed the longer you fish. the equipment seems to get smaller and smaller? :laugh: fishing equipment i mean. no pun intended.

vin

dholmes wrote:

Hi All,

- Rods + Reel setups

Welcome to the site mate.

Look forward to seeing your reports.

Look out for the Going Fishing and Fishing Events posts as well.

These are a great way for new members to get involved in the AFO community atmosphere as well as pick up heaps of tips etc.

In fact the AFO X-MAS party is fast approaching :)

Cheers.

Angus

Thanks everyone for the great replies,

Cheers Nadders, Yes I'm mainly (atm) doing some river/estuary stuff because I got no boat yet. (Looking into that). SO mainly I'm targeting, Flatty, Bream, Mud crabs.. What Ever I can go for from the bank. It's hard for someone to be Specific If they don't know what they are talking about. I think my line is too heavy for my rod setup, so I'll change that.

I've Just bought myself a Cast Net, to attempt to catch myself some small Bait fish. Although after 1.5 hours of practice I still cant get a good spread. Reading the manual hasn't really helped at all. Thankfully on Yesterdays Trip I met a few Nice blokes 'Ash & Jason' who helped me out and gave me some tips. I'm still practicing that one.

Yesterday I had the crab pot setup 3 times ,left it in for about 3 hours each time, using Steaks soaked in that fish attractant. Didn't catch anything unfortunately. I think I'll try some Chicken carcass next time as it was advised to me this is a sure thing. If anyone knows some good crabbing spots (for muddies) I can try while throwing a line out, would appreciate it.

Cheers, D

Archived