Big dead Cod

DanTheMan

I found this site a few weeks ago and only just got around to posting, it was found with another pile of bones of what looked to be good sized Bass (around 50cm)

This area isn't known for Cod (that I'm aware of) so was a surprise find, I have fished there a bit from the banks but never caught anything.

To give you an idea of it's size, that's a size 13 foot next to it. Cod1.jpg

I never thought of Toga..

Now that you mention it I think there were some big scales which would lead to a massive Toga? I'll go back at some stage and have a look. If it is a Toga its a bloody impressive one!

Its on the Sunshine Coast. Not connected to any impoundments either.

Here's some more pics of the head if it will help. Picture_106.jpg

Cowfish13 wrote:

I call Cod. On the very edge of the head section (towards the tail), that fish has a pointed bit (very technical name there :silly: ) like a Cod. Saratoga have a rounded section there

I'm thinking the same, the gill plate comes to a point like most cod. Togas are more rounded. The Sunshine Coast...could be the carcass of a very big Mary River Cod.

It's a shame we can't see the teeth.

Little Grey Men wrote:

Cowfish13 wrote:
I call Cod. On the very edge of the head section (towards the tail), that fish has a pointed bit (very technical name there :silly: ) like a Cod. Saratoga have a rounded section there

I'm thinking the same, the gill plate comes to a point like most cod. Togas are more rounded. The Sunshine Coast...could be the carcass of a very big Mary River Cod.

It's a shame we can't see the teeth.

That's what I was thinking of!! :laugh: I couldn't think of the name when I was posting.

Scleropages leichardti the upper rear section of the operculum is broken giving it the appearance of an opercular spike. The size and the position of the eye and the shape of the jaws are the identification keys IMHO. Get a photo and compare them.

Regs Steve.

mick fillet wrote:

sheesh!!! it is bloody good size toga. the skeleton would look great mounted on the right piece of polshed drift wood. Did ta keep it I would have or was it national park?

Na not in a National Park, might keep the head, nice and clean with no smell, could always stick the other jaw bone back on.

elops wrote:

Scleropages leichardti the upper rear section of the operculum is broken giving it the appearance of an opercular spike. The size and the position of the eye and the shape of the jaws are the identification keys IMHO. Get a photo and compare them.

Regs Steve.

Well spotted Steve, the second photo makes it a little clearer. I want a toga that size. HOLY SMOKES !!!

Archived