Brisbane river threadfin.

jakhunta

Ray its been a while since I have been on afo so unfortunately I had forrgotten abought brad and his research. In the future I will not be forgetting again. I will put his number into my phone. Smiderman it was still quite choppy out on the water but it wasnt to extreme.

This fish had swallowed the hook down its throat. If I was to cut the leader and leave the hook in do you think the hook would have come out of its own accord or is this just a lost cause. We have caught a couple of threaddies now and although beautiful to eat I think I would like to release the ones that are saveable. From what I hear they arent the easiest fish as far as attition rates. Maybe barbless hooks might be the go.

barbless hooks work, as do circle hooks at times, i guess one of the most important factors on how badly the fish will be hooked is how much time is given for it to swallow the bait down, if it is allowed to run under freespool/baitrunner for a while before setting the hook the result is often a gut hooking, even with circle hooks

threadfin release alright if handled properly, i guess it depends how far down the hook is as to whether its a lost cause cutting the leader (i.e is it bleeding from the gills, etc?) but a hook lodged in the throat can certainly work its way out in the salt. the best way to release is to leave the fish in the water while you sort the hooks out, hold her still in a landing net while still in the water and carefully get the hooks out with pliers or cut the line if you have to. if the fish came from the deep (10-15m) and is floating a release weight is the best way to go to get it down again

and of course, im not sure where you hooked this one but one of the best things that can be done atm for ensuring that the threadfin population thrives is to avoid the area around the oil pipeline as this is a major location where the breeders are currently spawning until about feb.

jakhunta wrote:

brissy fish I hear that they get them at newstead park (mouth of breakfast creek).

If you are using bait try to use live bait, prawn herring or mullet. At the very least fresh bait,not the frozen stuff. Target them around the turn of tides.

and if u dont land a thready u may get a bi catch of some mackeral....have heard of a few being landed there of late! :P

Archived