Land Based Moreton Island Fishing

Hamster

Hey everyone

just a quick query i'm a keen lure fisherman and was wondering did anyone know any tips on beach fishing the brissi side of moreton island. I'm entering a school fishing comp on Saturday and haven't fished there before. any tips such as bait, line class, plastics hardbodies, or where to fish would be very appreciated ;)

cheers Hamish

Good luck mate, I used to do those comps 30 years ago!

Back then it was flatties the main catch,bait was the go. Dont go with yabbies to hard to keep alive and to heavy to carry (learn't that the hard way), worms or half pillies on 2 ganged 3/0's if your going bait.

Didn't have plastic back then, I reckon a 2-4 kilo 7 foot rod tossing soft plastics would be the go. Just keep walking up the beach throwing at any likely spots, edges of banks, channels etc etc. Easiest way to travel light as well.

if your up to respooling something around the 6-9lb mono mark would do the go. Braid doesn't really matter, only the size of the leader hanging off the end.

Hamish, any lure that will that will hit the bottom often will sure to get you a flattie, work it along drop offs or structure eg. sunken logs if any around. Same for soft plastics bounce along the bottom, use the cuurent if there is one. Usually clear water so you might be able to sight one.

Archived