Bay and Rivers

Gad

I read in yesterdays Courier Mail and Ipswich QT,the latest survey results on the health of our local waters. All have tragicly gone dramatically backwards in quality.

Now I`m not a,scientist,a labour/liberal voting swinging greenie,nor a member of a rabid minority group,just a rec fisher who cares about the enviroment from which I gain a lot of recreational pleasure from,also I would like it to be there for my grandkids children`s to enjoy.

Now before the rains and floods came last year,most of our local waterways were improving rapidly.

This deluge of run off,is a part(large or small, you judge which)of our systems going backwards.How will it affect our fishing in time to come,we get to wait and see.

The rec fisher,the pro fisher,green zones,the greenies etc, cannot be blamed for this happening,it was a happening waiting to happen.

I`m of the belief that the only way to help stop this cycle recurring forever and a day,we who are concerned,politically inspired self interest groups,greenies(?),rabids,and those that would turn out for any fruit cake demo, actually need to call a truce,look at the big picture and get the EPA and all political parties looking for a long term solution,that genuinely will help the environment,both on land and on our waterways.

There is no easy fix solution,knee jerk reactions don`t work,but united fronts do have power..

I`ll finish with what I do know to be right,Now that Tom Burns is not with us,the only other honest man who entered parliament was Guy Fawkes

yeah that is unfortunate side of things today. short term focus on getting as much money as possible with no vision for the future when the sources of said money are gone. kinda like the bluefin tuna situation that just got aired on the news.

would be awesome if something was done about the runoff into our waterways to improve water quality, though it is better than it used to be since dredging stopped for sure. what we need are politicians who's chief interest is making australia/the world a better place as opposed to getting re-elected

the run off from some of our storms would be hard to stop pollutents entering the waterways with the amount of water that comes down .the media beats this up to grab headlines but to fix this with a couple of million people living on the bays doorstep won't be easy .i agree with stopping development in low lying areas and removal of wetlands we should be creating new wetlands which filter all the nasties .

mark

Before the rain, with the extended lack of rain there was basically no "flush down" of the crap in the rivers,meaning the constant tidal flows in the river and bay had cleaned up the water. With the rain down all the crap came.

Our past habits will haunt us like this for many years to come. Any event that stirs up the sediments will cause problems.

i think a big tribute to the water quality is because in the last big flood a while back now, all the water came lockyer creek, none of the water came from wivenhoe at all, now when i was at orielly's weir as the water started to reside , mick an my self came across a water study being done on the flood water , the 3 scientist or water analysis team, asked if we intended on swimming there, we laughed as we both had rods and a bucket of worms :huh: then asked them why? they replied with " the water has alot of herbicides, pesticides and bacterial forms in it " i think that puts it down to all the farm run off up the lockyer valley , because it had been so many years without run off, the levels of pollutants was concentrated in top layers of soils, then big flooding rain came and washed it all down in one go ! now i reckon if they kept the brisbane river flowing at a more natural rate out of wivenhoe you would start too see water quality improving , but they have not let bugger all out during or after the flood til this day, so all the water except minimum amount from wivenhoe is coming down from the sandy silty creek known as lockyer creek,. just do a drive to mt crosby and see for your self, not a drop going over any part of the weir,except a few small cracks , fish ladder dry , small pond under the weir , the other big impact with them not letting the river flow more natural is the spawning bass trapped below and schooled up in the pond , that just want to get back up the river. they cant even go back down as it is a trickle about 5mm deep through the rocks. now just a reminder that it is no fishing 400mtrs below and 200mtrs above the weir ;) i understand water restrictions and conserving water but it is not helping the condition of the river hogging all the water human consumption ,when the entire eco system of the river and bay rely on natural water flow from the brisbane river!

just a few thoughts sorry for babbling on lol :laugh:

cheers

wes

I am aware of,and understand the facts that each of you have replied with.

I posted my musings,after reading the articles mentioned,and for some reason recalled reading a book on the great empires of the world,

the thing that stuck out throughout the book, was that each of these empires survived by oppressing the rights of people and playing one group against the other,for political tyrany

Gad

Feral wrote:

Mate if there are lots of fish trapped there, give Shayne or Elops (Steve) a PM, they might be able to put you on to someone to organise a rescue mission through a local stocking group, getting them them to get them up and over the weir.

The Brisbane Valley Anglers stocking group do salvage/translocations at Mt. Crosby Weir .

Regs Steve.

Archived